We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Text messaging

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
Text messaging

I use Verizon wireless. Does anyone know if I can text to the United States while away and if there is a extra charge? I wonder if I could text my husband if for some reason we aren't together while on the resort.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Text messaging

Depends on what kind of phone you have (payasyougo/contract) but there is likely to be a charge.

Check here: verizonwireless.com/wcms/…

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Text messaging

Not sure about Verizon, but I'm with Koodo and they told me I'd be able to use my phone with wifi and that would be about it...could just be the plan I have of course.

Maybe you could both download the "WhatsApp" - others know more about it, but if both of you download it, you can text back and forth for free using wifi.

My daughter is visiting the UK right now - she doesn't have a phone, just an ipod. She uses a service called Trilian. Because it does not work by region, and it's used with wifi, she and her friend in Wales have communicated for free for the past year, just using this service/app. So far, she's also been able to text me from there - it's a Canadian number, and as I have free texting within Canada and the US, I have not had any charges on my Koodo acct. - not yet anyway, lol. Trillain works with any device and may be worth checking out....

Good luck :)

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Text messaging

We always use Whatsapp to text. Free as long as you have wifi. The costs of texting through Verizon adds up VERY quickly. Plus, you would have to take your phone out of airplane mode. If both phones are iphones, you can IM through wifi.

NY
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Text messaging

Verizon will charge you for texting, 50 cents per outgoing test, and 5 cents per incoming text. Also, phone calls are 1.99 a minute (cellphones). I called them the other day and got this info. They do not have any discount plans available to DR other than data which is $25 for 100 MB.

I am not familiar with the WhatsApp mentioned, but i have used Viber to call and text from Aruba, and as long as i was in a Wifi area, it was great, and free. If your resort has wifi, there shouldnt be any need to pay for service,

If you look at Viber, i think the people you are communicating with in the states, also have to have Viber downloaded to their phones, for it to work and be free.

5. Re: Text messaging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 06:18