We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing your own beer

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bringing your own beer

Are you allowed to bring beer into the country?

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing your own beer

In your checked luggage, yes.

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing your own beer

The short answer is yes, but I can't imagine why you would as the local beer is fine.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing your own beer

Why would you want to do that???

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing your own beer

Yah why? Presidente is a really good beer

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,628 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing your own beer

I have to agree...Presidente is a very good beer, much like a Molson in my opinion.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing your own beer

We are Bud Light drinkers for reference, and we were very happy with Presidente Light - especially when ice cold :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing your own beer

considering the tight luggage weight restrictions of today's flights, such beers would be a well expensive "snack" drinket, as you sure would not consider to bring 2 full cases or more to be readily stocked for a week's stay without the need to touch other beers than the own homebrew.

as for quantity, you can bring in beer for "personal use", so a few 6'ers in the suitcase will not bother any customs agent, if you bring suitcases filled with foreign brews they would take that as a import for business/sales and tax it as a alcohol import or even seize it if not declared in the customs form in the first place.

Mike

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bringing your own beer

Restrictions must have been much lighter years ago, must have been at least 12-15 yrs. ago. I remember meeting a couple that brought an extra suitcase, and cooler filled with 2 cases of beer so they would have their favorite with them. Very puzzling, nothing wrong with Presidente.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bringing your own beer

you can easily check with your airline what a extra sutcase plus a cooler with 2 cases of beers costs, or if its even free to bring on your flight. every airline has their own rules.

on my europe flights the economy class guests can take just 25 kilos per person plus 5kilos carry on, on the business class i can take 50 kilos in suitcases, don't know if carry on is the same 5 kilos or more, and i was often very well over the 50 kilos on the way back home to the island, prepared to pay the extra weight, but they always smiled and waved it through without any addy. my max been 72 kilos on such flight. while the economy class on the same flight gets the luggage weighted on the gram and every bit over the margin will be billed.

the different airlines have sometimes very different inclusions/exclusions etc, you need to check with your specific airline for your specific flight.

in general, as asked for by the OP, beer can be brought into the country in quantities "reasonable" for the own consumption, so some sixpacks will not be a problem from the customs side.

Mike

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bringing your own beer

Booze, Beer, like all edibles and drinkables, are subjective. I like Presidente. A good beer that reminds me where I am. I associate it with fun, fun, fun! However, I am fussy with vodka and love my Ketel One. I am considering bringing a bottle with us. Others think I am nuts but I like what I like. Grey Goose is OK but I can taste the diff. Will is ruin my vacay if I run out of Ketel One? Heck NO! I will switch to something else, like the wonderful rum! :D