We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

Just made the switch after reading so many bad reviews about the Prestige Club Rooms at Occidental. Should have better sleeps now until we leave on Jan 26th for the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana. Now to get as much reading n as possible before Sunday....

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

Don't worry Bojangles Brooklin got you covered.

To start read post 1 on link below so you can get an understanding about the entire Bahia complex as a whole!

tripadvisor.ca/…55206940

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

Thanks Bigjim93 and to Brooklin for the info, I am now in research overdrive as I type.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

2 resorts which are very different due their location.

what did attract you to book the occidental grand firstly, before bad reviews(which are found for most resorts) made you to switch?

appealing for some is that the occidental grand is located central to venture off resort without the need of a cabby. via the frontgate to the Plaza Bavaro/Punta Cana, Steve's Shopndrink places, via the beach it is a short stroll into El Cortecito with the beach vendor huts, bars and restaurants.

Mike

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,000 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

I enjoy the Occidental, great food in the buffet, great beach, and close to walking off resort.

murillo
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

I agree...I hope your not changing to get more beach..it is nice to walk out from the resort and see something...i've been to the Bahia...golden close to the beach

murillo
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

I agree...I hope your not changing to get more beach..it is nice to walk out from the resort and see something...i've been to the Bahia...golden close to the beach

Edited: 24 January 2014, 01:48
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

the firebuddy is double posting, i guess you are ready for a vacay, Man, lol.

yes,

that's why i described the Occidental Grand location above, as the 2 resorts are very different as for location.

as opposed to above Occidental description, the Bahia Punta Cana is a tiny grounds large by roomnumbers monster resort, beach is usually well filled up to the top with guests, shopping bars restaurants ect require a cabby ride, it is more a place to stay on the grounds.

if thats not been any of the important points of Bojangles to have booked the occidental in the first place, then no prob with such change.

both hotels range in the budget oriented class and food/drinkets wise i would not expect significant differences from one to the other.

Mike

murillo
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

Posting from cell phone...watching hockey game...my bad

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

We were booked at the Occidental last year and we switched as well. Decided on the Palladium and we were so glad. We dont spend much time in our room but when we are there I like to know that its clean. I'm sorry to say this but from over the fench the Occidental looked pretty dumpy. Love the location though so the palladium is perfect for us

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Switched from Occidental Grand to GBPPC Royal Golden

The Reason we booked the Occidental at the start was based on the great price we got for the week. The only thing I was worried about was the many reviews about roofs leaking from bathtubs and A/C. Likely would have been quite happy with the rest of the resort. We had an insurance that we could switch anything with our stay up to 3 hrs before. A good price came up for the Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana Royal Golden. Do not usually go off Resort except for maybe 1 excursion so the facilities and disco near the Occidental were of no benefit. We have been to some large resorts in the past (Iberostars, Barcelós) so the size of the resort is a non issue at the GBPPC.