We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Resort Questions

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excellence Resort Questions

Hello, my husband and I recently booked a week at the Excellence Resort in Punta Cana. We'll be going in September, but before we start planning on what clothes to buy and such I figured I would try to ask a few questions and see if anybody had answers for me.

1. I was trying to figure out if there was a place to do laundry on site or a laundry service. One random travel site said they have laundry service, but cited an extra charge. Does anybody know what that charge would be? (In Dominican Pesos or American Dollars is fine) We are staying 7 nights and I am guessing we may need to do laundry before the trip is over unless we want to pay to check additional luggage on the flight.

2. Are there set hours for the pools and beach? Or could we go for a swim at 3 am if we wanted to? I don't imagine we would swim in the ocean that late, but a stroll down the beach might be a possibility. Most hotels in the US close their pools between 9 and 10 pm and reopen between 6 and 8 am. Just hoping for a place that will let you swim whenever you wish.

3. The resort website says that there are plenty of places for 'private' moments throughout the resort. Obviously that makes the mind wander... I also had a friend who went to the Dominican Republic and she said that people were getting frisky all over her resort. Obviously people are going to be lovey dovey and make out where they want to, but I am asking if you've seen people going overboard. Like, are we going to be taking a walk one day and run into a couple having sex against a palm tree? lol To each their own of course, just trying to prepare myself for what we may or may not see.

4. Do you get your choice of liquor and beer in your room even if you do not do the Excellence Club upgrade?

5. How expensive are their spa services?

6. Our flight leaves Punta Cana around 7 am. How early will we have to leave for the airport? I heard reports of people being told they had to leave at 2:30 am?

Thanks in advance to anybody that can help me out with these questions! :-) Happy travels!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

1. There is laundry service, but I'm sorry - I don't know what it costs. I've never had the need.

2. The pools close at 6 or 7pm (I'm not sure when exactly because we're usually in the room by 5pm, and then off to the Martini Bar before dinner). I've been swimming in the pool just after sunrise. I don't know when it's "technically" open. I often walk or sit on the beach in the evenings. Security will probably stop you from venturing beyond the borders of the resort.

3. I don't think they mean sex when they say "private moments". I haven't seen anything like that, although there are some spots along the lazy river pool where I suppose you could get away with that at night. You might see some couples cuddling, but it really isn't prevalent enough to be noteworthy.

4. You can request what liquor and beer in your room. You get more choices with Club.

5. The spa isn't cheap, but they do have daily specials. They leave a coupon in your room along with the nightly newsletter, which tells you what's going on the next day. There's also massages at Nancy's right next to the resort. It's not fancy, but good massages at a much cheaper price.

6. I always try to be at the airport 2.5 to 3 hours before the flight, just in case. If you're taking a taxi, it will probably be 35 minutes or so at that time. If it was me, I'd probably check out some time around 3:30am for a 7am flight. Ask the front desk for a taxi, and they'll be there pretty quick.

Mark

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

We actually have booked a transfer service (VIP Travel Services) through BookIt.com where we booked everything else. Apparently they have representatives at the hotel too and we just need to contact them 48 hours before we leave to confirm departure time. I was just trying to figure out how early that would be. So 3 am is a very likely time for departure from the resort.

Thanks for the clarification of private moments... I have read other reviews where people made hints too. However, with the terms they use you can never quite be certain what they mean. To some people an 'intimate moment' is just cuddling and kisses... to others, it's basically sex. I was just wondering what to expect. :-)

We can be night owls, so it's kind of sad the pools close so early. However, I am sure we'll find plenty of other things to do. Good to know we can sit on the beach whenever we want though. I could see where it wouldn't be a good idea to wonder off the hotel property along the beach at night.

As for laundry service, it was more of a back up plan. Since we are staying 7 nights, it feels like we would have to pack a lot of clothing and I cringe at the thought of what the airport will charge to check the extra stuff.

Thanks again for all your help Mark! I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

You should be fine with one suitcase each... no need to check extra. And in the scheme of things, if they are charging for that first bag, it's a drop in the bucket compared to what you are spending on the vacation as a whole. So, pack what you want to have for the week. With that in mind, at Excellence as you'll find at any resort, pack less than you think you'll need. You will be in a bathing suit-coverup all day long, only changing into something else for excursions and evening time at the resort. Light sundresses don't take up much space, or you can opt for separates... couple pairs of capris with a variety of tops to mix and match. But, don't go crazy on clothes... you won't end up wearing them.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

poozieny is exactly right :) We brought a suitcase each which worked out well, but I learned that I brought too many clothes. I was bringing the "just in case" stuff, and didn't wear them - too many shorts and different tops. Shoes can take up room and weight too - I brought flips flops, but only two pairs of light, dressier sandals that mixed well with any outfit for dinner. Hubby wore his closed toes shoes (dinner wear) on the plane, and lighter flips flops went into the luggage. He did much better than me, lol...bathing trunks, t-shirts, three lightweight, collared shirts and one pair of pants for dinner. We had mini Tide packages to wash out anything that needed it.

As far as departure time, we had VIP Services also and I'm assuming we'll have them again in July. We stayed just up the road from Excellence and our departure from the resort was 3 hours before flight time. We had plenty of time to check in, go through security and do a bit of shopping - mind you, that was in August and the airport wasn't busy.

Enjoy your trip :)

romford
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

We have booked private transfers through our TO here in the UK. Given that we are travelling in June .. is this a busy period, and if so, how much time should we allow for our return transfer from Excellence to PC Airport?

Regards,

Pat

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

In my opinion Pat, 3 hours is the right amount of time - most transport companies follow this rule of thumb. You never know what delays you may encounter, and if you'd hoped to hit the duty free, or grab a bite, it's nice to have the time :)

romford
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

Hi laceyblue,

Many thanks for your reply....appreciated.

Given that this will be our first trip to the Dom Rep, what are the facilities like at PC airport in terms of Duty Free and Restaurants .. is there plenty of choice?

Regards,

Pat

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

From what I recall, there were two duty free shops - an "Americana" and a "Punta Cana". We got some last minute souvenirs and some rum in the Punta Cana one - rum prices were cheaper on the resort, lol. Didn't go in the Americana shop. There was also a Victoria's Secrets, a La Coste and a few other stores I don't remember, lol.

For food, we saw a Wendy's, Baskin Robbins, Cinnabon, an Italian place, a deli, a sushi shop and a hot dog place - to be honest, this was about a year and a half ago, so amenities may very well have changed - others will have more up to date info :)

There was also a little bar kiosk near our gate, near the VIP departure lounge.

While it was warm, we enjoyed our airport experience - quite a few people milling about, but not overly crowded and there was a lovely breeze as most of the airport is open-air.

Enjoy your trip - PC is a lovely spot, with wonderful people :)

romford
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

Hi laceyblue,

I did Google PC airport, but their site didn't really give a lot of info.

I assume PC airport is small in comparisson to Cancun, and more inline with Aruba?

Hope there is plenty of breeze flowing through the airport when we are there, otherwise I will have a fan blowing full blast lol!!

Regards,

Pat

10. Re: Excellence Resort Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:18