We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Hello Destination Wedding Brides!

I'm currently looking into resorts in Punta Cana, DR. The only resort I've looked into so far is the Paradisus Punta Cana. It looks beautiful! However, I'm not sure if the proposal they have given me is on the "normal" or "high" side. I understand that each resort is going to be different (some more luxurious than others) but I want to be budget conscious for our guests (and us!).

I've done Webinars from DestinationWeddings.com on Paradisus, Iberostar, Karisma, and Bahia Principe. It's a little overwhelming trying to decide what will work best with our budget.

My question to all Dominican Republic brides are as follows:

- What resorts did you consider? Did you end up choosing and deciding on one?

- What's negotiable when signing a contract with the resort? Rates? Wedding Packages? etc...

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated! :) Happy Wedding Planning!

- Kristi

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Hi kigo6, I was a destination wedding bride...but not in Punta Cana. I had my wedding at the Hard Rock in Puerto Vallarta, MX...and highly suggest you take a look at the Hard Rock Punta Cana.

I did stay at the GBP Ambar in Punta Cana for our one year wedding anniversary, however. Would not recommend that for a wedding. The HR is definitely a much higher quality.

Also, I would recommend you looking into a travel agent, you will find they can and will assist a lot with the wedding process. I recommend Cherie Peninger. http://vacationagent.net/contact/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Oh, and as for photography...www.hdcphoto.com Ask for Milan. They did my one year wedding anniversary photos and they are an amazing company!!!

<!~~~ photo here!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Hi Kristi!

I got married at Ocean Blue & Sand Punta Cana. For us, we had been there once before, and they simply offered the best wedding package at the time. I think you need to weight out what's most important to you in the packages offered, locations offered, etc with the price that it will be for your guests. I didn't choose to use a travel agent but it's definitely a good suggestion to have someone help put all of the pieces together for you.

I am going to second HDC for photography- specifically Milan. He was amazing to work with and I loved my photos. Private message me if you're interested and I'd be happy to send you a link to some!

I'm not sure if you've landed there yet but if you haven't, check out http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com. There's tons of information on all different resorts to help you decide as well.

Happy planning! -Kristina

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Hello just decided on Dreams Palm Beach Resort and it was very reasonable for for nights and five days I got a rate for my guest $513

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, I appreciate it! :) Sounds like a wonderful time and I will check it out!

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Oh, that is great! Thank you, I'l, be checking out that site for sure. I *think* we are going to be using the resort photographer, but if not - I'd love to have a backup! My email is Kristi.M.Igo@gmail.com if you'd like to share the link to the photographer! Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it!

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

These are beautiful pictures, thank you so much for sharing! I'll definitely consider using them!

Halifax Region...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Having been married in Punta Cana, DR a year and a half ago, I got married at the Dreams Punta Cana and it was beautiful! Also, if you want an amazing husband and wife wedding photography team who pay for their own transportation, go for Kevin and Christine Photography, two Canadian photographers who only charge $1200 and you get two photographers. Happy wedding planning!

Kincardine, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

My husband and I were married at Iberostar Paraiso Lindo in the Mayan Riviera. We cherry picked what we wanted from the wedding packages presented. We paid only for the officiant, flowers and photos. No cake, champagne or extra decorations -- cake, champagne and beautiful scenery were already all around. We had just 6 guests, so that may have helped. But just be aware that pretty much everything is negotiable.

My one major piece of advice is to do the legal bit at home. It shouldn't require more than signing papers, so you can save the ceremony for the resort, but it simplifies everything immensely.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destination Wedding - Dominican Republic

Hey Kristi. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials! Picking a resort to get married for a destination wedding is perhaps the most stressful part, but once you do then everything is smooth sailing after that. Having said that though, we decided not to get married at a resort in Punta Cana but instead are getting married at the Kukua Beach Club which is right next door to the Bahia Principe Esmeralda (where we are staying). Kukua offered us the same if not more options than Bahia and I felt a lot more comfortable and at ease with the quickness of how Bego, the wedding co-ordinator, responded to all of my questions. We also chose this resort because we did not want to worry about people in bathing suits watching us during our wedding and perhaps even walking in the background during the ceremony and they were more flexible with the times that the wedding could take place. My fiance wanted to walk down to the ceremony at sunset along a candle lit aisle and Kukua was able to accommodate us. I strongly suggest that you look into off resort venues as well as it really adds that special something to your special day. Our wedding is not until July 7 so I do not have any pictures to share right now but they do have a Facebook page that is updated regularly with lots of picture. Good luck and message me if you have any questions.

-Akhil