We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

I was wondering if the quality of the resorts drops off dramatically as you move away from the top 10-15 resorts as ranked on TA. We are planning to go back to Punta Cana and out of curiosity I read some reviews for a resort we walked by while out on a beach walk --- called Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort. Wow! The write-ups would scare someone away who just washed up on shore and needed a place to stay. I apologize for picking on this resort as many have poor reviews. I just happened to have seen this particular resort. I get that quality drops off with your position on TA, but there seems to be a pretty dramatic drop in quality and service in Punta Cana. True?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

Usually you get what you pay for. I say usually because I got caught on a recent higher priced vacation. PC has a large range of resorts to meet many budgets from low end to rich. I tend not to pay attention to rankings anymore. IMO, meaningless. Many of us have tried to figure out the ranking system without success. What I do look at is the percentage recommendation. I think anything over 80% is a good resort to stay at. Anything between 75% and *80% may be okay if I'm looking at something more budget friendly. Anything below 75% and I know it's not likely I'll enjoy. Resorts below 70%? Avoid like the plague. This is simply my criteria. Some folks don't care and are happy staying anywhere.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

Thanks Margadagio! It is a helpful way to look at it. I also notice that you can sometimes see trends with reviews. For example, a new resort may have a rocky start before they get their act together.

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

And some people have a conniption fit if everything isn't perfect.read the last reviews on the sirenis tropical,their all good ones.

It's mostly the snoots who think their £€€£ don't stink that complain and frankly I would rather be around the working class of people on a trip than around a bunch of snoots anyways,their far more likely to have fun than snoots are anyways.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

We have stayed at many resorts in DR, from High-end to Mid/low end. We have no complaints about any of them. My husband used to say, "If one is $50. lower than the rest, book that one, the're all the same." We are going for the sunshine, weather, beaches, and to enjoy each other. Only recently, past 6 times, we keep returning to the IPC for our own preferences. The staff are truly customer oriented, and we like the smaller resort.

Quispamsis, Canada
Level Contributor
769 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

we stayed at 3and a half 4star and 5 star we liked them all, the higher end resorts have more perks but we go for the beach and weather , it depends what you want in your vacation

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

I would not say that the quality drops off after the first 10-15 resorts as only 1 resort can occupy each spot. The royal suites turquesa where we go ( 12X) is at like 36 but has an over 80% satisfaction rating.................also you must add into the equation that some may rank their trip low related to delays, flights, weather and problems with excursions which have nothing to do with the resort, this can give the resort a lower rating. Also I think IMHO the size of the resort plays into the ratings, ie a large resort will have more people staying there and therefor more reivews

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

I also think that some resorts get a great following and "talk up" the resort and highly unattainable perks that some get, therefore when a newbie gets there they are dissappointed. Also, if you read some of the descriptions of the resorts that some of the resorts they themselves put out you'd be dissappointed too :-)

You could pick the lowest ranked resort, go to their website and see how inviting and nice they make it seem.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

<<< I also think that some resorts get a great following and "talk up" the resort and highly unattainable perks that some get, therefore when a newbie gets there they are dissappointed. >>> SO TRUE Can't listen to Hype!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

Another problem is most of these resorts claim to be 5 star. They aren't by North American standards. The star rating is based on the number of amenities, not quality. All the AI's are like this throughout the Caribbean and Mexico. Choosing a property by the star rating can get you a bunch of misery if you have expectations of a US style 5 star.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does the quality of the hotels drop off dramatically?

I dont agree with it....we are returning to the palladium again this year and I think the quality is great. It is ranked 39 on TA