We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halfmoon, New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

We just spent a beautiful week at Ocean Blue & Sands. I have to write my review, but if anyone has any questions... It is all fresh in my head.

Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

Yes!

Did you have privilege?

What would the best room section be?

Best restaurant?

How bad was the towel game?

What was the in room drink selection like?

We are going in April, and really looking forward to trying this resort!

Halfmoon, New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

We did do privilege. I literally spread sheeted the amenities included vs other resort VIP offerings and this was a steal.

We were in building 6, 3rd floor, room 17. I think a higher floor will give you a better shot at ocean view. Building 6 & 10 are both privilege. I think pool view in those is best. Building 5 & 9 are both definitely on the pool. Building 4 & 8 might be partial. The other buildings are on the pathway and would be closer to the front.

We thought the Caribbean, French and Mexican were the best restaurants. But we talked with others who didn't agree. Such a personal preference, I suppose. We felt the fish was great in most of those.

Towel game? Do you mean in the room? We had full size towels every day. Some days maybe no wash cloths or hand towels, but we just made do. I am sure if I asked, we could have gotten them. Beach towel wise, no problem ever.

In privilege, we had water, soda, beer (reg & lt), vodka, rum and scotch nips plus a bottle of wine. I drink red, and it was not fabulous :(

I will try to get to the review early next week so if you think of anything else.

Port Washington...
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

Shopping...how close?

Did you go to Palma Real?

Steve's bar?

Giant slide ..how often was it up?

Any beach partues?

Theme buffet nights?

What do you wish you did and didn't get a chance?

Halfmoon, New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

The beach shopping is immediately to the left of the resort facing the ocean toward Iberostar.

Palma Real the mall? Not my type of shopping, but I am sure if you just asked the bell station, they would call a cab for you.

Steve's we did a number of years ago, never realizing it was the infamous Steve's. We liked it then.

We only saw the giant slide on 1 day.

We did go to the beach party which was lots of fun. They had fire dancers and did a short bonfire. Then there was dancing on the beach until 11pm when the disco opened.

There were theme buffet nights, but we didn't partake. We did the Bucaneer restaurant (included in Privilege), and the French 2x instead.

Honestly, we did everything we would have wanted. Maybe my husband would say the Hobie Cats but we just ran out of time. We were there to relax this year. No real excursions, but we have in the past. We did the kayaks, I took some time in the spa, and watched a few evening shows (Boogie Nights was fun!).

Ontario
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

Thanks for the update.

The towel game is where people throw their towels and other items onto loungers, saving them and then going away for hours on end not using the lounger. Was it bad? Or did you have enough in the privilege section of the beach?

Did you email in advance for room preferences?

Do you have any other privilege tips?

Halfmoon, New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

We saw a lot of the towel game. The privilege section was typically pretty full. We honestly didn't care for that "beach area" unless you wanted to have drink service. It was awful close quarters. We always could find chairs nearer to the water in the main section. We spent our mornings at the beach, and then the pool after lunch. By then, around the pool, we didn't usually have an issue getting chairs. The way the sun sets, you want to be in between the 2 pools. The one closest to the ocean lost the sun first - at least in late January.

I did not email before for the room. I thought it was great (6317). The only better ones were the Honeymoon suite (6318) next to us, or the 2 honeymoon suites that would face the ocean dead on. We liked having a pool/ocean view because you could see the action and decide where to head.

To get your in-room internet with privilege, you need to get a new code daily from the concierge, which is near the pool and privilege beach area. We would pick it up at breakfast or call for it. You need 1 per device.

You can get a special room service breakfast, but are technically supposed to order by 10pm the night before. The Desayuno Americano was HUGE - eggs, toast, bacon, hash browns, fruit, yogurt, pancakes, cereal, coffee, juice and milk - for 2. After getting that one morning, we remembered to request only what we would really eat the next time.

Keep an eye on the daily activity listing that is delivered to your room. The Spa does some special things in the privilege beach only - massages, masks, drinks, etc. Also read the kids section for a good laugh. I won't spoil it. It will jump out at you :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

<<"Towel game? Do you mean in the room? We had full size towels every day. ">>>

Towel game on the beach was bad for the first time this year at OB&S we just returned late last night.

Seemed they no longer are careful about collecting the one towel card per person in exchange for a towel, rather everyone just could grab as many towels as they wanted. And they spread them all over, probably on more seats than the number of backsides they had in their group!

When they limited the towels in past there was no such problem other than latecomers not getting the prime spots.

Port Washington...
Level Contributor
514 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

I am not privledge. What tips should we know? There is six of us.

The beach party am I excluded?

Is the shopping area part of were steves bar is?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

Hi glad you had a great time. How were the rooms? Dated or not?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from Ocean Blue - questions anyone?

Hi we are going in May ,is there a shop on the resort that sells everyday things incase we forget anything.