We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of quick questions

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of quick questions

Thinking about coming to the Majestic Colonial in July or August. We're bringing my daughter's best friend with us, who will need to be able to contact her father everyday. There is a transfer company that we use when we go to Cancun that rents cell phones at reasonable prices. Anything like that available in PC? We're a cell phone-free family, otherwise, we'd bring our own.

Also, I checked the top questions and didn't see this listed either. What paperwork does immigration need from us and/or the father, giving permission to take his daughter out of the country?

Thanks for your help!

Rg

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of quick questions

Yes, Gobecon does transfers and Cell phones/ wifi hot spot rentals.

www.gobecon.com

Someone else will clarify the other question, but i think you need paperwork stating permission, signed by both parents. I'll try to find a previous post that gives details.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of quick questions

http://www.gobecon.com/smartphone-rental/

Or if you have a tablet, ipod, she can download magic jack app and connect to resort wifi to make free calls home

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of quick questions

Matt your quick on the draw lol

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of quick questions

lol, thanks Jim.

OP here is a past post that may help, but Jim, or another veteran, can probably give you more current details about bringing a non-family minor (if she is under 18) to the DR.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k51398…

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of quick questions

Bring notarized letter stating that she has permission to travel. Have both parents sign, if applicable. I had close friends in a similiar situation without it and was denied boarding.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple of quick questions

I knew I could count on my TA experts. Thanks for the advice. The child is 13 - her mother passed away 2 years ago. This will be her first time out of the country. Will the father need to present the death certificate or something or do you think that is noted on the passport? I'm assuming he won't be able to get her a passport without proving that he's the child's sole guardian.

Both girls have iPods, so I will have to check out the Magic Jack app. Thanks for the tip! Now to go read further to see if the resort has free wifi.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple of quick questions

Do you mean Itouch? From what I know they can txt with Wifi, but not make calls. Ipads can make calls with the Magic Jack app though, if thats what you meant... lol too many "i" products out there, it gets confusing.

That I know of, the passport doesnt have parental info on it. (but i could be incorrect) A copy of the death certificate may be a good idea.

About the Magic Jack App... it worked great, but the caller id on the person you are contacting shows up as a weird number (mine was a Florida #) so let the Dad know to expect calls from an odd number, if you get this app. Ipad's/Itouch can run Skype and FaceTime too and she can video chat with the father via the resort wifi

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple of quick questions

Matt - those are fantastic suggestions. I forgot all about the texting feature. The latest craze with the kids these days is Kik (messaging) and Face Time. Both of which the father probably already has on his devices.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
4,886 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple of quick questions

Meant to indicate, yes to the ipod touch.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple of quick questions

Yeah Kik is pretty good and more reliable/faster than txt.

The resort wifi works pretty well, but may not be fast enough to support video chat. I have read that the gobecon wifi device supported facetime very well, but not talking from experience. The price for the week to rent the device isn't much.

We just used the resort wifi next door to the MC, at the ME.