We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels and money

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hotels and money

I'm planning a trip to punta cana from the uk and have never been out of Europe before do I need to change money to dollars before I go or should I change money over there or get it out of ATM?

Plus narrowed it down to all inclusive at dreams palm beach, secrets royal beach or Riu palace Bavaro I'm 31 want relaxation and entertainment any advice greatly appreciated

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels and money

Hi again Lucy

Whilst US$ are widely accepted in Punta Cana the local currency in the Dominican Republic is Pesos and if you intend to spend quite a bit of money the latter will go further and provide better value. Any money form an ATM will be given in Pesos

As far as hotels / resorts are concerned can you expand a little on the type of property you are looking for and if you are travelling alone. Also how many nights are you going for, when are you looking to travel and do you have a budget

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels and money

Hello Thank you

I'm thinking of going in November me and my partner and 2 other couples we are looking for good quality food nice beach/pool with some fun evening entertainment nightlife.

Our budget is about £2500 per couple when I priced these 3 hotels with thomson they were all within budget. Only going for 7 nights wish longer but my partner can only have a week off at a time

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels and money

Remember you will need $10 US for your visitors card when you enter and $20 US for your exit tax when you leave. Both are per person and must be in USD>

If you are going to use ATMs (gives you a good exchange rate) and remember the dispense pesos only, do notify your home bank or they will put a hold on your card with the first use fearing fraud.

Hotels in PC I can't help with.

BObK

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels and money

Hi Lucy,

For money, we take USD, mainly because we don't do a lot of shopping, we stay all inclusive, and don't actually spend that much once we are there. Many of the prices for goods and services, trips, in your hotel will be priced in USD. We also take about $500 in $5 and $1 bills for tips as the staff are always so great. You can collect these as you go in M&S as well as other places.

We are Dreams fans, going back to Dreams Punta Cana again this year have not tried Dreams Palm Beach, BUT we travel with children. If you are travelling without children you will likely enjoy Secrets better, which is the Adult Only version of Dreams and you should find it a slightly more upgraded resort to the RIU.

Try Caribbean Warehouse for prices for Dominican Republic, if you are travelling during school holidays also try the British Airways site as I have found they are the best at NOT inflating holiday costs during school holidays.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels and money

Thanks everyone!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,125 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels and money

Hi again

Secrets Royal Beach would be my choice as it is AO

If you check out my review of the property you will find a link to a large photo album for it which should give you a good feel for it

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d1…

I would also giving Caribbean Warehouse a call for a price as we have used them for al out trips since 2007 and have always found them to be very competitive and helpful

caribbeanwarehouse.co.uk/hotels/dominican/se…

7. Re: Hotels and money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 12:26
Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels and money

That is a ridiculous question. More trolling I would say - similar username to a "pot stirrer" who had snide comments/questions last week ... very sad.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels and money

4 posts, 3 of them stalking the flipflop man. Quien Sabe?

10. Re: Hotels and money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 12:26
Edited: 06 February 2014, 12:26