We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Hello

I've just returned from an amazing 11 night stay in Riu Palace Macao in Punta Cana. Loved it so much i'm thinking of going alone for a week in April ( single female from the UK)

Would I be safe enough doing this?? Looking to stay in a Riu hotel but a more lively one. Easy enough to make friends?

Also is anyone on here heading there in April time?

Thank you! x

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Good for you. It's to bad you can't find anyone else to go with because I think it is actually more expensive for one rather than two. You should be fine at the resort alone and meeting new friends should be easy also.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Bob is right, price it out with the single supplement that the majority of resorts charge.

Also, before you go look up "sankies" and have a great time !!!!

San Ramon...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

From what I've read on the forums Punta Cana is generally a safe place for solo female travelers and seems like it would be fairly easy to make new friends. Going by myself in October :) I'm sure you'll have a nice time.

As far as the cost it depends on the hotel and whether you book a package deal or separately. Dreams Palm Beach was the only hotel on my comparison list that cut the per night price nearly in half for a single occupant and that's one of the reasons I chose it. I know more guests generate more revenue but it still bugs me that hotels penalize solo travelers.

DPB = $240 2 guests vs. $132 1 guest

Excellence = $222 2 guests vs. $168 1 guest

Melia = $210 2 guests vs. $147 1 guest

Barceló Bavaro Palace Deluxe = $214 2 guests vs. $187 1 guest

The package deals added on average an extra $300 - $500 for a single traveler so booking separately was the better option for me.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with relevant information on Riu properties. Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta...
11,167 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Yoshiko... I wonder if when you do a pretend booking on all of the above if you are proceeding to the next screen, the ones right before you pay to see the true price? That's where you will see the true price for a single traveller. Don't let the initial / first screen fool you.

When I do DPB the price difference for a single is and ADDED $300 on top of their rate.

Most resorts are charging around $380 - $500 for a single supplement,,, one of the cheaper ones is Blau only charging approx. $200.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 00:16
Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Gran Bahia for 4 nights extra as a single is only 160$ more

In April

Edited: 09 February 2014, 00:46
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Go and have fun!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Thank you all for your advice, definitely gunna shop around!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Remember all these price quotes are dependent on time and location also.

Homer Glen, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Hello You had a great time, i have a deal for you: i am leaving from Chicago May 23 and returning June 6 fro O'hare International ...I can not pay your round trip to your Country... however i can pay for your whole vacation 14 days In Punta Cana my emil is jorge_fernald@yahoo,com i am very serous and tired of travelling ALONE I WILL BE LEAVING FROM Chicago I ALRESDY HAVE THE ROOM PAY FOR, so if you are interested let me know. i gave you my email i hope you say YES thanks

Homer Glen, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Punta Cana alone in April

Hello : if you wish to come back to Punta Cana, i am leaving May 23 and coming back June 6 ,... two long weeks of Turqiouse waters,blue skies,wide,white sand beaches, great food as you already know to Punta Cana I can pay for the two weeks ,,, i have a reserved room so if you can come from your Country to Chicago, that is where i will be leaving from. i can not afford your round trip from your Country to USA round trip....................if you can afford only that i will book you once you arrive in Chicago and we can go together,,, let me know my email is jorge_fernald@yahoo.com i hope you can come