We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

I have finally plumped for the Iberostar Punta Cana for our "trip of a lifetime" holiday in August. It came in a little over budget but it does sound like a good choice base on T/A reviews.

It would be really great if people who have stayed at this hotel before could give us any tips, recommendations etc for our trip. This may well be the only time we are able to come to the Dom Rep for a number of reasons (including the cost @ over £6000 for 2 weeks) so we want to make the most of it. Hence the "trip of a lifetime" phrase. I will try to keep all my questions over the coming months condensed into this one thread, so I don't fill the forum up too much.

So here goes;

We are travelling from the UK having always holidayed in Europe before, is the time difference liable to leave us jetlagged or not?

We have 2 members of our party that have restricted mobility, I use a walking stick but can usually manage most things in my own time. My Mother is 83 and has much worse mobility issues, we will be bringing a wheelchair. What is the hotel and country in general like for people with restricted mobility or wheelchair use?

Can someone from the UK tell me what type of travel adaptors to get?

I know the sea will be nice and quite warm but what about the pools, are they really cold? (They are in most of Europe)?

Is there plenty to keep a 13 year old girl occupied, when not in the sea/pool and is it safe to let her have a relatively free reign round the hotel complex?

Is there a lot of problems with mossies in Punta Cana?

Do I need long trousers for any of the restaurants in the hotel?

Are there any shops or restaurants within walking distance (using the wheelchair as well) to browse round, or restaurants if we fancy a change one night away from the hotel.

Cant think of any more questions for now but any advice or tips I will be grateful for.

Thanks to all

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

hi simon, stayed at the iberostar a few times so from the top, jetlag- yes it will takes its toll ive been advised in the past to stay up till the same time you would at home the first night even though you might be tired then have your normal sleep hours and get up for breakfast, it may take you a couple of days to really get over it fully, the walkways are generally flat around the resort so wheelchairs will be fine, what i will say is be careful if it rains as the walkways can be slippy after a downpour, travel plugs are the two pin type, pools will be very warm in august, there is a teen club over on the iberostar dominicana side you daughter can use but i have,nt got much info on whats there, games in the pool and other things going on with the great animation team to, mossies? i have,nt seen many but thats not to say they are,nt there, take spray if you are normally bothered by them, you need long trousers for the a la carte restaurants but not for the buffet, steakhouse or star rock cafe, you dont need to book at the star rock either, when you get there have a good walk round with your daughter so you get the layout, its a compact resort and a 5 minute walk max from lobby to beach, a few shops in the hotel and near the disco/star rock cafe to have a browse but i would say they are cheap, a few shops on the road inbetween the dominicana and bavaro also, you have chosen a good hotel im sure you will all have a great time, if you have any more questions just ask, plenty on here willing to help.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 14:25
manchester england
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

just remember you can use all the facilities of the domincana hotel to, lost count of the number of people who dont know this till advised.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,841 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

Great info max...

I'd like to add that you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting around with mobility issues... they have a ramp suitable for a wheelchair that goes directly onto the beach. Also, email ahead of time for a main floor room.

As for shopping there is a "street" called Caribbean Street that runs parallel to the Iberostar Dominicana where you can browse along with a couple of shops in the lobby of your resort and the resort next door.

Cheers, Debbie

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

here you go debs on the case, miss iberostar ;-) just to add be careful in the sun its much stronger than your normal european holiday destinations, take plenty of high factor sun cream because its very expensive if you run out and stay hydrated with fluids.

Edited: 13 February 2014, 14:55
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,841 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

LOL, you going back soon Max?

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

there is a possible september trip with a big group for a joint 50th birthday celebration, im trying to sway them to pc but it isnt easy, think my sister and family might be going in april/may so might just dive on that one ;-) you?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,841 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

May for sure, next door though :-)

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

thats great, may will be here in no time. think may as been my favourite time to go.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

Some great info in there, thank you.

Now I know this might sound a bit crazy given restricted mobility and a wheelchair but we are hoping to e-mail ahead nearer the time (now we know there are lifts) and ask for top floor rooms. Hopefully with at least one having a good view and possible sea view of some description. The reason being that my Mother likes to spend a lot of time on a balcony watching the world go by, sometimes this might include most or all of one day. So a view from above would be ideal and if not a sea view then maybe a pool view. I had wanted to try and sort it when I booked but there was no provision for it through Thomsons.

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberostar Punta Cana - August 2014

umm i wouldnt ask for a sea view room as its quite restricted by trees and given the heighth of the balcony wall and plants/flowers she wont be able to see much, if she like s to sit and watch the world go by from the balcony i would suggest a ground floor room with a pool view or at most first floor.