We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

connecticut
Level Contributor
601 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

Hi all - we've been vacationing in Cancun for the last 10+ years and are thinking of going this year to the DR ( I say this every year ) !! but really want to change it up this year :) I got some great recommendations from you all last year but we are leaning towards the Catalonia Royal - our must-haves :

Great beach

Small resort

Good food / drink

Balcony with Ocean view

Other choices we are considering :

Punta Cana Princess

Excellence

Bahia Ambar

I know there's a few more - can't remember at the moment ! Would love for any suggestions / comments / thoughts......this is a hard decision for us because we do LOVE the GP, I just think we need to experience something new :) Thank you !

Annie

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

Ambar is my choice, even though it is part it a large complex....

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

Probably can't go wrong with any of them. Were going to Catalonia in April our 2nd time. Since they've redone the rooms at the Punta Cana Princess i have that on my list people love it. The beach will be different at the Cat then the other ones it's a calmer beach so it depends really on what you want.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

It depends on what kind of beach you want. The Cat has a quiet uncrowded beach with very calm water and snorkelling opportunities. However, there are no guaranteed ocean view rooms. None are oceanfront. It does tick all the other boxes.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,127 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

Bahia is the opposite of a small resort, which is what the OP stipulated, hlywud. It's the largest resort complex in Punta Cana (in terms of rooms) by far.

Punta Cana Princess and Catalonia Royal Bavaro are the smallest of those listed, and are typically priced the lowest. Both are parts of larger complexes, but not overly large. Excellence is about 450 rooms, and not connected with any other resorts. It's typically the most expensive though. All three of these do not require reservations for dinner, which is nice. Excellence has by far the most restaurants (adult only).

Cat Royal has the calmest waters, and Excellence the roughest, but the Excellence beach is gorgeous, long, deep, and uncrowded.

Mark

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

We have been to Cat Royal, Ambar and Excellence and my choice out of the three would be Excellence. It is the only true adults only resort in the group. Service is top notch and lots of bar and restaurant choices without having to go next door.

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

Hi Annie, Jean here! What a surprise to see you on this forum. We will be going back to the Catalonia for the 9th time in May. Also going to the GP in April. Thinking some things might change at the GP since the owner died last month. Knowing you I am sure the Cat Royal would suit you. We love it. Great food, no reservations needed. You can use the family resort next door. Only thing on your list that I don`t think you would get is Ocean view. Only 1 or 2 blds. have a slight ocean view...............jean

connecticut
Level Contributor
601 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

Hi Jean - I sent you a PM as well, don't know if you got it.

Thank you all for your replies - basically for the DR, is it true that the beaches are further away from the rooms than maybe I'm used to? so not so much oceanview / front ? Just trying to get a feel for the area......its really tough going somewhere new !! you just hate to make a mistake :) AND, we are trying to convince our travel partners (who we got hooked on Cancun) to come with !!

Thanks all ! I'm sure there will be more questions !!

Annie

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

out of your list i would scratch of the Bahia Ambar completely, as it does not comply with your requests.

out the the other 3:

* Catalonia Royal, year around supercalm beach, snorkel opportunities from the Beach, small property

* Punta Cana Princess, medium wave action on the Beach, great to play in if that's your thing over a flat calm beach, nice tropical very small property, very nice prepared beacharea

* Excellence, a top dog of a Adults Only Place, very good services, nice prepared beach area but(in case important to you, it would not matter to me tho) rough waves there often so not always possible to swim in the Ocean, it is a real stand alone adults only property with everything done to please adults of all ages, no children anywhere near the property, it also is a small property

i listed the 3 above in no particular order, they would equally fit fine. they are all 3 different by location, specially beach location, hence the Cat is supercalm, the Princess medium calm and the Excellence rough, so they are beachwise 3 very different products, to choose from which one fits for each's personal preferences.

all 3 are good properties to visit and have a blast.

happy sunday

Mike

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

Annie, got your message and have answered it

10. Re: Catalonia Royal Bavaro or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 05:27