We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saginaw, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

When we first visited PC about 10 years ago this was recommended to prevent gastrointestinal issues. We were told to begin treatment prior to our visit by taking two chewable Pepto-Bismol tablets 3x per day for 3 days before arrival and then to continue this practice throughout our stay and 3 days after returning home. We did this and did not experience any issues.

I intend to check with my doctor about whether this is still advisable, but I wondered whether any of you have seen recent recommendations along these lines?

We will be at the Bahia Principe Ambar at the end of April and while we are fairly moderate in our food and drink intake, if we can avoid digestive problems we'll be that much better off, right?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend. Happy travels everyone!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

I think only you know your tummy well. If you're suseptible to tummy problems at home then take the pepto, although I think 3 times a day is a bit much.

The first year I went I did the one Pepto a day thing but 16 visits since then I haven't bothered and have never had tummy issues, and that's using tap water for teeth brushing too.

Saginaw, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

Thanks for your advice, Debinatore.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

When we traveled last, we actually took Probiotics starting three weeks prior to travel, and while on holiday. As this supports the maintenance of “good” bacteria, it made sense to us that their use would promote healthy digestive activity – something we unfortunately neglect to do even when not travelling, lol.

While in PC, we took one Pepto pill each daily, usually in the afternoon - we usually had a very light breakfast (if any) and lunch, but felt that coating the tummy before dinner, wine, evening drinks etc., was a fair way to prepare for new/differently prepared foods. We had Zantac with us in case of heartburn, although we never used it.

In our experience, we did not suffer any tummy/digestive issues at all - not sure whether our preventative measures are to thank or not. We also made sure to stay hydrated throughout the day, especially if indulging in “beverages”, and mixed at least one bottle of water with Gatorade powder in order to replace electrolytes – using late afternoon or before bed. We enjoyed everything in moderation, including sun and alcohol and only used bottled water.

This will be our plan again for our return trip in July. Good luck and enjoy your trip!!

Saginaw, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

Hubby has begun taking probiotics...so maybe he'll be covered! Suppose it cannot hurt to take the pepto too. Thanks for the tips!

5. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 14:17
Edited: 19 February 2014, 14:17
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

pro·phy·lac·tic

ˌprōfəˈlaktik/

adjective: prophylactic

1. intended to prevent disease.

"prophylactic measures"

synonyms: preventive, preventative, precautionary, protective, inhibitory More

"prophylactic measures"

noun

noun: prophylactic; plural noun: prophylactics

1. a medicine or course of action used to prevent disease.

"I took malaria prophylactics"

synonyms: preventive measure, precaution, safeguard, safety measure

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

Actually Wud, the OP is right in their spelling . . .

pro·phy·lac·tic

ˌprōfəˈlaktik/Submit

noun

plural noun: prophylactics

a medicine or course of action used to prevent disease.

"I took malaria prophylactics"

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

bahahhwaa Bugs, beat ya this time LOL

Saginaw, MI
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

Ha ha hlywud - in this case, prophylactic means "for the prevention of (fill in the blank)".

That's why it's used for condoms - preventing all sort of things!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Prophylactic Treatment with Pepto?

even a Expert has to learn something new once in a while, lol.

WUD,

the girls are spot on, they seem to know about the preventive measures.

happy weekend

Mike