We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lobster at AI Resorts

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Lobster at AI Resorts

Are Lobster and other seafood regularly available at most AI Resorts in Punta Cana? Specifically the Bahia Ambar and Majestic Colonial?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

There is lobster on the menu at Don Pablo gourmet restaurant. Was very good, but small quantity. It was not available on the seafood buffet night.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

Remember that the Carribean Spiny Lobster is different than that you have at home, it's often soft/ mushy and dirty. The lobster at Don Pablo was the best I've had to date in PC and almost reminded me of the cold water tail that I am used too... I hear that the restaurant Jelly Fish is just as wonderful and can't wait to try for myself!

While some AI's offer lobster, keep in mind that some also charge if not upgraded. Up to $30USD we have paid in the past. Live and learn, ask questions about your resort in particular to get accurate info also.

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

Thanks for the replies. We will most likely be choosing to stay at the Majestic Colonial. Comments on the food there?

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

I always think Lobster is overrated but had plenty at the Ambar, they also had it at the Majestic when I was there at the Steak House.

Food at the Ambar is generally very good. imo

Also lots of Lobster at the Royal Catalonia as much as you like.

Nearly all the food at the AI's is imported so you are unlikely to get local catch and produce.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 19:30
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

I did not have lobster at MC as for the time we were there we were not Club level and never looked into the possible upcharge. The buffets there were more than sufficient. Also worth noting, while at ME last August we had lunch at the beach buffet on more than one occasion and enjoyed it more than the ME's See and Sea beach buffet for lunch!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,308 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

<<The lobster at Don Pablo was the best I've had to date in PC and almost reminded me of the cold water tail that I am used too... I hear that the restaurant Jelly Fish is just as wonderful and can't wait to try for myself!>>

Right, Taprice, like the beef, the lobster seems much better in recent years than what it once was. We had lobster such as you described (actually two tails plus a nice filet for our surf and turf) at Bucanero at Ocean Blue. This is included for Privilege package, extra charge for nonPrivilege. We also had the nice lobster tails at the Apple Vacation party, tho' those were smaller, but still quite delicious.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

Lobster at the Gala Buffet at the Ambar is grilled and it should not have been but it is the only way to serv it to the masses. Still it is pretty good but definately better at the Don Pablo.

Excellence has it all the time at no additional charge. And, yeah like Taprice says!

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

I found the Lobster very good at the Ambar this Xmas. In fact the best I've had in the Caribbean and we also had the Beach Special Dinner and the Lobster was tasty & Huge, much bigger than you get in the Buffets/Restaurants.

Don't mind it grilled or BBQ'd either as long as it's not too dry, but we all have different tastes.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,829 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

They had it in several dishes at the a la Carte's and several nights at the buffets at Paradisus Punta Cana.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lobster at AI Resorts

Hey Snooky!

I think as long as people realize you are not getting the same lobster you'd get from a cold water region, it is well accepted. It is folks not realizing the difference that I think causes them to not like it. At least in part.