We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

We have just returned from a week at GBP Esmeralda. I wanted to pass on some info on duty free prices at the airport. We purchased our "allotment" of rum to bring home from the shop in the pueblo principe on the resort. Barcelo gran anejo 1000 ml cost 19.00USD at the resort but at the airport the cost was 35.00USD in one duty free shop and 45.00USD at another shop. Same price difference for Brugal extra viejo -20USD at resort and 32USD at airport. My husband found similar differences in price for cigars as well.

Just wanted to share this info as we normally expect duty free shops to be cheaper... Not this time! We were glad we bought at the resort!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,361 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

NOT here. In the DR airports goods are 2-3 times more expensive at the duty free shops than what you can get at the resorts on in towns.

Basically Duty Free here = tourist rip-off

BObK

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

Even cheaper at the regular stores.. Tell your cab driver to take you.

Sydney, Canada
Level Contributor
602 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

I got some of my rum at the Liquor Depot at the San Juan Mall. The prices are good. Ex(. Barceló crème 15.00 airport 35.00, Brugal extra Viejo 1000ml 13.00, airport 35.00 . Ron Barceló gran anejo 350ml 5.00 airport 17.00.) They also carry coffee and vanilla.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,144 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

I'm not so sure that Duty Free is government regulated like in other countries.... I've never been in a Duty Free where the staff hound you and offer to make you "deals" LOL

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

CapeBretonCaper did it right,

the local Malls/Supermarkets offer the real deal.

duty free shops at the airport are very much more expensive than the resort shops, and the resort shops are still a far overpriced place to purchase such things, as they are still at least 50% more expensive and often on double of the price than paid at a supermarket.

of course it is not worth to grab a cabby to drive to a supermarket and get a 20 dollars rum bottle for half price, as the cabby would cost more than the safed half price/10 bucks of a bottle of rum, but if you want to purchase several bottles of higher rated alcohol and even more if you use the public bus instead of a taxi, then you can safe a lot compared to the expensive hotelstores.

and thats no complaint against the hotelstores, they are here the same as at any other destination's resortstores, well above the usual local prices, for that they have the stuff handy right there at the hotel, no cabby, no hassles, and for that they have to pay very high monthly rents to run their store there.

as for Cigars,

i would never buy such at the airport nor at the Resort, you pay way too much at both.

there are several cigar producers in the punta cana area, they even offer free shuttles to their stores, where you can purchase the cigar quality of your choice for the best available price.

Mike

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

Yep, said many times.... don't wait for duty free. For example my Ron Barcelo Imperial was 38.USD at the Bahia Principe properties - 48.USD at the airport, and this is the case with just about everything I priced to bring back last week. When I bring home rum, I find it best to shop around the resort or town.

Now if anyone knows where I can get some more of my BearHug Mango Infusions LOL (thats good stuff- haha) that never made it past the week yet get me to my next trip back LOL and from what I can tell its only available in duty-free?? what??

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

Cigars

There is a Dutchman in a wooden building (smoking parlor) on the beach near the Huracan Cafe on Bavaro Beach . He runs a factory near Santo Domingo and he will do special deals on cigars.

Spirits

There is a trade distributor down the side road at the rear of Gladys Restaurant (rear of Playa Turquesa Condo - side road to the beach). There is a large gate. Go through it and into the building on the right. There is no indication as to what is inside. I guarantee you will not find it cheaper any where else. To get there it is 30 pesos on the bus and it will drop you outside the Gladys restaurant.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

good example with the common Imperial, Taprice.

you got it for $38.- at the Bahia Principe instead of $48.- at the airport, and you get if for $28.- at the stores off resort.

i get it at the distributors(not available for visitors) even for max $20.-, but that's a price for businesses to purchase it to reell it to their customers.

Mike

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

IN that case Mike, you have "reelled me in" stock up for May will ya! LOL

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rum and cigars - prices at resort vs airport

if anybody is staying in the area of the Occidental or Grand Palladium there are great shops right on the beach where you can get your stuff really cheap