We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP- Good choice for us?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pottstown...
Level Contributor
181 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
GBP- Good choice for us?

Hi TA folks,

We are looking to book a trip in early April to an all inclusive. We are first timers to Punta Cana and all inclusives. I'm interested in GBP line because of the price is more affordable and we are on a smaller budget this year for our vacation. They are quite large and I don't want to be intimidated by this. We are looking for sun, great pools and beach and just overall easiness. I want to read, eat and swim a lot. We are not huge fans of being around a lot of children so I'm a little unsure if this is the way to go or do I need to find an Adults Only. I'm okay with some just not the Disney World effect. We are also considering going to Mexico, I would prefer to do an Excellence or El Dorado Maroma, but the prices are higher. Any thoughts?

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
607 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

Look into the Ambar - adults only within the GBP complex. I wouldn't try the Bavaro/Punta Cana/Premier sections if you don't want to be around a lot of kids.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

You might want to check out the GBP Cayacoa in Samana. I find it really reasonable priced and it is adults only till May I believe. We loved it there. It is a nice small resort.

Warminster...
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

Ambar is adults only but may not meet your budget. The Punta Cana and Bavaro sections are very nice. They are the same so take which ever is cheaper. There are children there but not too many. It will depend on whether you hit the Easter time/school breaks. The beach is very crowded. There is lots of activity. We didn't mind the hugeness. We like to stroll around. It's a great place for your first time. Very tropical. The pool is really big. The entertainment team does a good job. If you want quiet I'd pick Ambar every time. It's beach isn't as crowded. You can't go wrong either way.

Chris

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

We would suggest the Bahia Ambar, which is Adults Only, more relaxing, and pretty much quiet on the Great beach, with no young ones running around, and the same goes for the ala carte restaurants. Nightly live band at the Lobby, with most top shelf liquors, it is moderately priced, and is an excellent value. Just as an example, we are going to the Ambar April 27 - May 4th, out of Boston after all fees, charges, and transfers from and to the airport, we are paying $2,600 total for the Both of us. If that fits your budget, would very much suggest You take a look at the Ambar, and it's many reviews, it is ranked 7th out of 101 resorts in Punta Cana. Hope this help You some. Best Wishes, Leo & Sue ps Over the past 9 years of going to Punta Cana, and Mexico, we have consistently found that Expedia.com has had the Best prices.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 05:14
Pottstown...
Level Contributor
181 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

If we stay at Ambar do they have a large pool? Can we go to the other areas if we want?

Also odd question, do any have an ice cream station or parlor?

Lazy type river?

Ambar's reviews people really complain about the lack of beach chairs, any comments?

Thanks!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

Look into the Catalonia Royal Bavaro. Its very reasonably priced, and has good reviews.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

The Riu Palaces (Bavaro, Macao and Punta Cana) don't have many kids. Infact, the Macao is now adults only and has just undergone a refurb. We stayed at the Punta Cana a couple of years ago for our Honeymoon and loved it, but have read that it's now due a refurb. We are booked to go to the Bavaro in May.

With Riu you can use the facilities of the neighboring properties and all the Palace ones were predominantly adults when we were there. There were a few, just not many. They all seemed to be at the Riu Bambu next door.

Warminster...
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

The pool at Ambar is not particularly large. The main pool for the Punta Cana/Bavaro sections is only a short walk away. No lazy river. You can use all the facilities of the other resorts except the main buffets. They have ice cream at the main Ambar buffet but I've never seen it anywhere else. The ice cream is veryyyy good though. The beach at Ambar is somewhat crowded but nothing as bad as the Punta Cana/Bavaro sections. You'll have to play the towel game wherever you go. I always managed to get a Palapa very close to the water.

Chris

Warminster...
Level Contributor
309 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

Rocky

If Brooklin or Big Jim would be so kind and publish the layout of the property it would help you. They know a lot about the Bahia resort.

Chris

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: GBP- Good choice for us?

Here is the resort map

www.resortsmaps.com/popup.html…

----

If you would like to read "detailed" info about the entire Bahia complex visit post 1 on thread below

tripadvisor.ca/…55