We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Excellence resort?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Woodstock, Maryland
Level Contributor
400 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which Excellence resort?

Have been to Excellence Playa Mujures last Fall and am wondering which Excellence/Mexico or Punta Cana is better and what are the differences? Trying to

plan another trip. We have also been to Punta Cana at Iberostar Grand before.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Excellence resort?

Loved the Melia properties in Punta Cana!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Excellence resort?

One difference is the price. EPM is typically $100 per night or so more expensive, although I've often found the flights to be cheaper to Cancun than to Punta Cana.

I haven't stayed at EPM. I have stayed at both ERC and EPC multiple times. From what I can tell, ERC and EPM have somewhat similar layouts, in that they are built back from the beach, whereas EPC is built along the beach. At ERC and EPM, the lazy river is back from the beach and is like a moat around the spa island, and Cafe Kafe, and the lobby are back from the beach as well. At EPC, Cafe Kafe is right by the beach, and the lobby is 30 seconds away from the beach. I like this.

At ERC and EPM, the lobby is indoors, and the Martini Bar is downstairs, at the bottom of a Scarlett O'Hara staircase. At EPC, it's all on one floor, and open air, with a fountain / pond in the middle (with turtles in it). Lots of nice seating for the Martini Bar at EPC. I much prefer this aspect at EPC.

There are two pools at EPC. The lazy river pool runs along the edge of the beach for about 1000 feet, so you can be by the pool and beach at the same time. ERC had some of that, but not nearly as much. EPC has a lot more ocean view rooms, and all rooms are relatively close to the beach. On the other side of the resort, there's the cascade pool, which is set back from the beach. It's a quiet area. I much prefer the lazy river at EPC.

They have mostly the same restaurants. ERC doesn't have a Flavor Market. EPM and EPC do. ERC and EPM have Oregano (pizza and pasta). EPM doesn't. EPC has Barcelona (Meditteranean) open for dinner. ERC and EPM have Basmati - EPC doesn't. Otherwise, I believe the rest are the same.

EPC has 3 bars, nicely spaced out along the beach, so you're never far from a bar. I found the service by the pool to be better / quicker at EPC than at ERC.

EPM is newer, and appears to have a more modern style than ERC or EPC - EPC having the most tropical vibe.

I'd take the beach at EPC over ERC any day. It's large, uncrowded, and there's little to no foot or boat traffic, because there are no resorts within a mile or so in either direction. Also, no seaweed to speak of. The ocean is typically rough at EPC, but there's a calm area just to the right of the resort.

The Junior Suites are a bit bigger at ERC and EPM. I hear the rooms at EPM are very nice. EPC recently renovated all of the rooms, and replaced some of the walkways, fountains, etc.

I'd go to either ERC or EPC, but I prefer EPC. I'd try EPM, but it's always more expensive.

Mark

Edited: 27 February 2014, 16:13
Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Excellence resort?

We have been to ERC and are heading back to EPC tomorrow for our third visit. We much prefer the layout of EPC.

4. Re: Which Excellence resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 05:21