We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breathless versus ME or EPC

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Breathless versus ME or EPC

Hello,

We were at Breathless a few weeks ago and weren't impressed with the resort. Based on other resorts we have beenn t, we felt Breathless was a solid 3 star (our opinion only). I am happy for the folks that have gone and loved it, but that was not our experience at all. We are supposed to return in July with a group of family and friends, but I am already looking at other options.

Is there anyone out ttere that have been to Breathless and have also stayed at ME or EPC that can give a comparison?

My peronal opinion would be to returnn to IBG, but we have folks in the group with budget restraints. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

A lot can happen between now and June. However, we wanted to weigh some options since more than likely we will switch resorrts.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breathless versus ME or EPC

What about Breathless disappointed you?

Mark

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breathless versus ME or EPC

I have been to all the resorts you mentioned.

On every category, Megestic Elligance < Breathless < Excellance

That may be a broad stroke, but I would rank Breathless as the second best resort I've experienced in Punta Cana, with Excellance being the best. I have not been to IGB, but you really are comparing apples and oranges because IGB is much more expensive. It isn't really fair to compare resorts at hugely different price points.

Pete

New Jersey
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breathless versus ME or EPC

MHEATHT1964 -There were quite a few things about Breathless that disappointed us. Food not that great taste wise, we had to ask for certain thiings three to four times before it was received. I could go on but the bottom line is it just did not have that upscale feel to it that we are used to.The place was not for us.

Pete V - Thanks for your input. I am in no way comparng anyplace in Punta Cana to IBG as it is the best resort we have been to in Punta Cana. IBG is not an option because it does not meet everyone in groups budget.

We were at EPC about 10 years ago when it first opened and we loved it. I am hesitant to return because there are many reviews that indicate the place is showing signs of wear. Plus we have an 18 and 19 year old in our group that the resort might be too laid back for.

We have until June to make the switch but wanted to get some opinions and thoughts from folks that have stayyed at Breathless and other resorts.

Thanks again,

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breathless versus ME or EPC

I don't get the "signs of wear" thing, barryree. They've recently renovated all of the rooms, and replaced all of the wooden walkways, some of the tile walkways, the bridge over the lazy river, and the fountains. I first went there in 2007, and I was there in early December 2013. I think it's in at least as good a shape. I think when people say "dated", it's because of the colonial style, not the condition. Some things are purposely "distressed" to create an effect - even things they've done recently. It's not a modern style. And I think the service and food has improved since I first went there, when it was Secrets Excellence.

Mark

5. Re: Breathless versus ME or EPC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 06:18