We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medical emergencies

Northome, Minnesota
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
medical emergencies

Just wondering what the distance to a hospital would be from Majestic Colonial should we need medical attention. I have a bee allergy. I will have my bee kit.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: medical emergencies

5-6 minutes ambulance ride to Centro Medico Punta Cana.

MIke

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
778 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: medical emergencies

There is also a doctor at the resort available 24/7

murillo
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medical emergencies

And the Dr will see you if you have cash...

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
867 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medical emergencies

Can I ask another question with this? If I purchased travelers insurance would I still pay upfront ? I'm guessing I pay upfront and then get the detailed receipt to file claim back home with traveler insurance and maybe try my personal insurance too? Wondering how that all works.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: medical emergencies

depends on your insurance you purchased. yes, most travelers insurances i know are working that way. you pay upfront first here on site/at the hospital/doctor, and then back home you send them your bills and get reimbursed.

Mike

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medical emergencies

Hondo, On our first trip, I had to see the resort doctor for a very minor injury. I paid with my credit card and when I returned home, with all my detailed receipts, I submitted them to Blue Cross first. My travel insurance reimbursed me the balance of what BC didn't pay. So, I eventually was 100 % covered.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
867 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medical emergencies

Ok thanks-I always buy travel insurance but also have Blue Cross so was curios about that. Thanks!

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,197 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medical emergencies

Hondo2,

As "Mike Fisher" mentioned, it does depend on your coverage and on the insurance provider itself.

We have been fortunate that no cash outlay for the doctor at the resort was required nor at Hospiten Bavaro - they both called the insurance company and obtained a claim number over the phone & billed the insurance company directly - that was nice.

Used RBC insurance here in Canada.

Ask the provider you may purchase your coverage from if they permit doctors and hospitals in the DR to do so.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Northome, Minnesota
Level Contributor
85 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: medical emergencies

Thank you Mike!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: medical emergencies

If you have BCBS you will want to read this web site:

bcbs.com/already-a-member/traveling-outside-…