We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana in September?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana in September?

I'm planning an anniversary trip for my husband and I. We were looking for different places because of it being hurricane season when we plan to go EVERYONE is trying to talk us out of going to the Caribbean. We want to go to Punta Cana but are afraid of getting caught in bad weather. Is it really a bad time to go? Has anyone gone in September before? We are looking to go September 10th-14th.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana in September?

Last hurricane in Punta Cana was in 2007.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana in September?

Mid-September is indeed peak Atlantic Hurricane season and nobody can predict what the weather may be like anywhere in the Caribbean or Eastern U.S. coastline. Many people travel then because pricing is so attractive and have had no weather issues. Others get a day or two of rainy weather and occasionally, a tropical storm. Best advice is to buy travel insurance that includes hurricane-related coverage and not worry about it. Or look elsewhere such as the deep southern Caribbean islands that are outside the hurricane belt.

Elkins, West...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana in September?

I was there last September with girlfriends and it was wonderful. I will be going again this September for my anniversary :) Can't wait!!

new york
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana in September?

thanks! any recommendations on where to stay. We would like an all inclusive for adults only.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana in September?

Suggest you check-out the "adult only resort" topic under the Top Questions column to your right for lots of basic information, then narrow down your choices after reading the reviews.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana in September?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE September...........we have been many many times during that time of year. We all know that it is hurricane season, but unless you book a few days out from actually travelling, you will never know what the weather is going to be like in advance. I will most likely be going again in Sept or Oct this year too. We stay at the Punta Cana Princess which is a nice small adults only resort.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
527 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana in September?

I had the same worry the last time we were in punta cana but honestly the weather was amazing so warm and sunny and yes there were a few tropical downpours but they lasted between 1 and 10 mins and and it was so hot we were glad of the rain and the heat drys the wet up in minutes. Everyone i spoke to from the area said punta cana only ever catches the tail ends of winds. the best adult only all inclusive we have ever been to is the luxury bahia principe ambar. We are going back in september for 2 weeks and cant wait. :)

york
Level Contributor
409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana in September?

I also will be going to the amber very early sept for my anniversary,yes it might not be the best time,but when is the best time?the weather has changed so much in the last few years that it is hard to tell what is going on from one month to the next.roll on when we get there and I'll be enjoying each day as it comes and saying how lucky to be able to be in punta cana.,eating drinking and hopefully having ball.yorkbabe

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana in September?

It's a crap shoot... last year, the last week of August was the most beautiful time of the whole year, hot and sunny, humid and no rain at all. 2012 the first week of October, we flew out over Hurricane Sandy. If you are not looking to make last minute plans or are willing to change the booking because of the forcast, then nothing you can do... go and enjoy, the prices are right and unless you have a crystal ball...

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana in September?

September is wonderful. It will not snow. It will be above 80 degrees. The only ice will be in your drinks. The hours of daylight will be longer. There will be no polar bears.