We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito protection

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquito protection

We're off to the Iberostar Punta Cana soon and have been told we need long sleeve shirts and trousers which means I need to panic buy now - is ts really necessary as we're taking malaria tablets and have bottles of 50% DEET? please advise if you've been? Thank you.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,354 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquito protection

With the DEET you should be fine. I would avoid walking along the beach in the early evening as this is their favorite feeding time.

BObK

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquito protection

Thanks that helps.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,354 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquito protection

You are welcome. Enjoy your trip

BObK

UK
Level Contributor
917 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquito protection

Re the long trousers, you will need them anyway as some of the restaurants require you to wear them at dinner you will also need a shirts with a collar for the same reason.

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquito protection

We always take some deet down with us and use it a handful of times, they just love me while we sit outside on the patios in the evening. They are certainly not bad enough where we have to wear long pants and shirts with sleeves. I always spray my ankles and that does the trick. As for long sleeved shirts, they are not necessary as short sleeve with collars for some of the ala cartes would be fine.

Have a wonderful time, we still have 5 weeks to wait before heading back before we have that first rush of warm air stepping of the plane, and it will be amazing after the deep freeze we are coming out of!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquito protection

We did well with Deep Woods OFF (high deet) for evening and early morning, if I ventured down to the beach for a sunrise. We also brought mosquito coils to light when sitting out on our patio in the evening which was helpful. Enjoy your trip :)

UK
Level Contributor
917 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquito protection

Mosquito milk works best for us, it only has 20% deet but it keeps them away.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquito protection

Long sleeve shirts in DR??

Who told you this

Edited: 07 March 2014, 13:48
Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquito protection

Maleria tablets are overkill as well

Fleet, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquito protection

Thank you all for your comments - as to who told us long sleeves and trousers it was government travel advice - can't beat government departments for creating anxiety!

Can't wait to go now - 3 days and counting.

Allie.