We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

Hi! A friend and I are planning a trip to DR for a wedding in Punta Cana and would prefer to fly into Santo Domingo because of the cheaper airfare. What are your recommendations for getting from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana and back? I tried to look at flights but the prices are all really expensive and in Euros (?). Thanks so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

from te St Dgo Airport Las Americas, located outside the capital on it's Eastern border, the only option would be a Taxi. it is costy, so the savings on the flight get reduced significantly and a longer transfer added. you could also take a cabby to santo domingo and there grab the public bus to punta cana, depending at which hotel you stay you may need an other cabby in PC from the bus station to the hotel, but that way adds a lot to the travel time.

if the savings are that big to make it worth it, take a Taxi, it will run for $180.- - $200.- each way for up to 4 passengers, otherwise i would take a direct flight into Punta Cana.

have fun

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

I'm going to piggyback on this post since I'm in the same situation as the original poster.... Attending a wedding in Punta Cana. I've found that not only are the flights double the price to Punta Cana vs. Santo Domingo but also there are no nonstop flights available to Punta Cana. All flights to Punta Cana require 2 stops and/or super long/overnight layovers.

Is it safe for 2 females to take the bus alone? How long will it take to get to Punta Cana on the bus?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
nyc
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

Taxi is the best bet, right outside the airport. Its a 2 hr ride, but worth it to avoid going in to the city and taking the bus.

Taxi into the city is $35, then bus $10 per person, then taxi again to resort $20?.

Get some cold drinks at the airport, jump in a cab, and take in the scenery!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

count on 3 hrs for the Bus Ride from their mainstationin St Dgo to their Main Station in Punta Cana, then a cabby from their PC station to the hotel where ever you stay. from the airport to their Bus tation in the City you also need a Cabby. the Bavaro Express Bus rides only a few times per day, shedules and rates are shown on their website on http://www.expresobavaro.com/

they start at 7AM, 9AM, 11AM, 1PM, 3PM and 4PM,

so count their shedule into your flight shedule, as you need to calculate time to pass thru the airport in St Dgo with immigrations, get luggage, pass customs, grab a cab. the driving time from the airport to the busstation i would ESTIMATE (i never did that ride) on 30-40 minutes, depending what time of the day you hit the Capital City's traffic. plan to be at the bus station well before the Bus departure time to buy your ticket, on specific days they sell well ahead of time.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Bavaro
Bavaro
Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

You guys are the best! Thanks so much for your help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
194 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

The ride from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana is a solid 3 hours can be 4 hours in traffic.

Not the safest trip either and my boyfriend is Dominican. I would think twice about doing it again.

Mentioned in this post
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

Look in La Romana airport that is closer than Santo Domingo.

Mentioned in this post
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
8. Re: Santo Domingo to Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:16