We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dominican's Favorite American Treats

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Dominican's Favorite American Treats

So I am reading a couple threads on the various gifts left for the staff. To be clear, we always leave cash and gifts. But it seems as though we might be leaving the "wrong" gifts.

What are some of the wonderful dominican people's favorite American (or other countries) gifts to receive from guests besides money? Do they prefer plain Hersey's chocolate to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, for instance? Would they prefer a mini-umbrella versus a scented candle?

Sure hope Mike and Mike can answer when they get a minute - but would love to hear from guests who know as well.

My tidbit is that my wife usually makes Rice Krispie treats for our travel day and in the room. One year we were eating them on the way to the hotel from the airport, so we offered our driver a piece. He was amazed at the taste, never heard of them before, asked us to write down what they were and how we made them, so we gave him the whole batch. His eyes were huge when he realized I was giving him the whole batch and not just another piece. Made my whole trip.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

such question can not be answered. some love chocolate, others would not touch chocolates, some eat any brand of that and others just a few specific brands. the same as in your country, the people here are each different individuals with different tatstes. one would get super exited to receive as a gift the shirt of a specific Baseball Team or Player, while an other would not care less about it and prefers to not wear sports shirts.

to know what treat is best for a individual person, you need to know that person, and that's not the case when going on vacation.

at the employees section room most employees sleep several in the same room, no fridge for a individual to store chocolate or such.

what a worker around the world works for is money, to be free to buy what is needed and what fits by the own personal preferences.

our supermarkets are filled with northamerican products like chocolates, shampoos, dolls etc etc. what is always missing is the cash to purchase the needed no name brand shampoo or pants or shirt or the specific notebook needed for school.

happy travels

Mike

murillo
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

I was told that the monthly toys at like McDonalds they can see them on tv but can't get them... I gave one my engl to span .. span to english pocket book . BB caps for sure...not the chitty ones ..

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

I've had Hersheys choc and sadly would not calll it a treat.

UK
Level Contributor
853 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

Me neither

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

Have to agree, I would rather have Cadbury's :-)

Edited: 09 March 2014, 20:20
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

For those of you recommending cash to these queries, I guess you can continue to bang your head against the wall. I, for one, get it: CASH IS THE MOST APPRECIATED!

Simcoe, Canada
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

Tootsie rolls.

Yes we tip maid and wait staff as never a problem but we also bring stuff. One item seem very popular is tootsie rolls. Bartender caught my wife eating one and asked for a piece. Upon having it his eyes lit up and wife gave it all to him. Yes went back to room to supply them all. Seems minor but there eyes seem to light up more on this than that cash tip. Cash is king but also a kind gesteur of giving them a treat seems to go a long way as well.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

The last 6 yrs I have worked in a large, office type building. Every day a certain elder gentleman walks the floor on his breaks and gives everyone he comes in contact with chocolates or candies. Sometimes the good stuff, sometimes a fun size bar, or lately there's "ice cream sandwich Thursday" I love him and his gestures, ALL the women squeel when they see him coming... I for once wish he would just give me a dollar when he passes.

NB
Level Contributor
219 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dominican's Favorite American Treats

hahahaha too funny taprice :)

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,567 posts