We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Hi. I am traveling to Zoetry Agua Punta Cana for a wedding in October. My friend is using a destination wedding service to facilitate the hotel booking (at a discount to us, at a fee to the wedding service company). On the Zoetry website, you can book via the online form (with a credit card) with a disclaimer about your information not being used for other purposes, etc.

However, the wedding services company is requesting (via a very unprofessional word document) that we provide all this information, PLUS a copy of the front and back of the credit card AND a copy of photo ID to be faxed or emailed. OR the use of a wire transfer to an arbitrary Dominican account.

Obviously this has raised some red flags, and while I want to get the discounted rate, I also want to protect my identity. Is this legal for them to ask for that kind of information (copies of the card/id)? I know wire transfers are common in scams...so I am definitely leery of that. Any advice welcome!

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Why not use a prepaid cc?

Minimizes your liability

Newburgh, New York
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Dear Jill, I would not send all that information. It sounds really strange for them to need your I.D, your credit card,front and back. The first thing you do is call your credit card company and do some enquiries, before you give out your info to this wedding servic. And I would also talk to your friend, and suggest that she go through a travel agency in the states. She still can get a discount for her wedding guest.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Just in my opinion, I would NOT follow through with this request! We use an online agent in Pennsylvania (Dream Makers Vacation Services) and even to pay him, there is a secure site where he doesn't even receive our actual credit card information. This absolutely raises some flags - either do as Joseph suggests, or book through a well known/trusted tour operator/site - Expedia, itravel, cheapcaribbean, the one I mentioned above, or Liberty Travel or something.

I think you are correct in your apprehension...go with your gut -- if it doesn't feel right, don't do it...

P.S. Enjoy Zoetry - we are returning in July :)

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,256 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Not a snowball's chance in HE*L would send that kind of info.

BObK

Pittsburgh, Pa
Level Contributor
61 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

When I booked my wedding through Apple every form i completed was through DocuSign. Same with the photographer.

Just so you know - when Brides use outside companies, those companies will often times give the bride/groom money back or a discount based on how many people book.

Do what your gut tells you is right. You can always contact Zoetry as well.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Hi all...thanks for the advice. I emailed the contact at the wedding service, so hopefully she will have more info. I think it is strange that a "Luxury Wedding" service based in Toronto does not have a way to facilitate secure online booking...DocuSign...even paypal or something like that.

The resort doesn't require that information when booking on the site, so that seems strange as well.

@KConsult-I know the bride proctored her own rates with Zoetry, but is using the intermediary service to try and cut down on the communication (with the guests) she has to do on her own and I know that they put a certain deposit down and that is through the wedding planning service, so I want to go through them for my friend's sake.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Just as an FYI hotels will ask for a copy of both front and back of card as well as photo ID in order to process a prepayment of a room/incidentals prior to check in. I booked rooms in both Disney and Universal this way.

I certainly understand the precaution but it is not that unusual.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

Hi OBXBum, Did they make the copies in person or did you have to fax/email them? This place is asking them to be faxed or emailed which I am not comfortable with, nor have I ever experienced them making a copy of the credit card/id at any hotel or resort in the US. I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

I did scan them both to the resorts in Florida and most recently to pay for some upgrades at a resort in Jamaica. But if you are uncomfortable with doing this then don't as the worry it would cost you is not worth it. There are other ways payment can be made, as suggested, get yourself a prepaid Visa or Mastercard.

The hotels are running your card through a machine by manually entering the card number. They will then need to enter your postal code (zip code) or other identifying information to obtain approval for the funds to be charged. As I said, it is not uncommon and done quite often in the business world when a company is prepaying for a room and incidentals for one of their employees who is traveling and being billed to someones else's company credit card..

But I certainly understand your concern. I think Zoetry seems to be a very well managed resort based on the information I have read. Perhaps a call down to speak with the General Manager expalining your concerns might help.

10. Re: Wedding travel intermediary wants my credit card and id...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 04:20