We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana from Florida

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Cana from Florida

Flying to Punta Cana. Which city in Florida offers the least expensive flights to PC? Coming down from PA, so thought we'd stay a few days in FL and then head to PC.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

if i book flights from here/Punta Cana to Florida the best deals show usually up to Miami Intl.

it's a short hopp and many flights available.

Mike

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

Fort Lauderdale non-stop into Punta Cana via Spirit Airlines.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

JetBlue is beginning nonstop service from Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) on May 1.

Prices should be competitive with American's service from MIA.

You would have to pay me to ever hop on a flight by Spirit.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

i used AA often and their services never been any close to impress a bit, so if the rates are better i would grab which ever competitor of theirs including Spirit.

Jetblue i have no experience with on that route, just on their route between DR and PR, and there they are way overprized for the short hopp without any service.

grab the one with the best deal available at the moment you wanna go.

Mike

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

For nonstops your options are limited to AA, with anywhere from 1 to 3 flights a day Miami-PUJ, depending on the time of year. Jet Blue begins service this year from FLL, which will be in direct competition with AA (hoefully they will lower their fares) Spirit Airlines goes seasonally only in the high season for US tourists (June-August) from Fort Lauderdale-PUJ

Other options I have used that are not nonstop are JetBlue with a connection in SJU, and Copa with a connection in PTY (the latter may seem like going out of the way, but the price is often more or less the same than the likes of AA. There are frequent daily flights between PTY and PUJ and Copa is an excellent operation. )

Edited: 13 March 2014, 05:14
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

For my next trip, I am going Tampa-Panama-Punta Cana on Copa, for a price about the same as AA. With 2 free checked bags, a full meal on both flights, and the final icing in the cake was I will arrive back in the US at the small immigration facilities here in Tampa Airport that operates only for the handful of international arrivals per week and the idea of avoiding MIA on the way home brought tears to my eyes.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

Spirit flies summer months only to Punta Cana but daily to Santo Domingo. They are 1/2 the price of anyone else and my choice for getting to the mainland. So far I have not had any issues with them and my last flight in February was one of the best in recent time for me.

Cheers

PCMike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

half price sounds of course intriguing, well worth to be brought/picked Up at the Las Americas airport instead of Punta Cana.

Mike

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

1 hour 45 minute drive is well worth a couple hundred a person!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana from Florida

yes Mike.

with the new roadconnection the ride between the airport Las Americas east of Santo Domingo and Punta Cana is a piece of cake. quick, safe and comfy.

Mike