We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone ever done this or been asked?

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
anyone ever done this or been asked?

I'm in the process of upgrading my room, before we arrive. we booked the standard room ,now I want to upgrade so it is locked in when we arrive. Now the issue i have is they want copies of both the front and back of my CC and a copy of my license after processing my payment. Anyone else ever have this issue? I'm thinking of getting a prepaid CC and using that.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,010 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

Sounds mighty peculiar to me. Who are you booking with?

Mark

nyc
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

Who are you booking with?

Ive encountered this process years ago when I booked a resort thru a dominican tour operator. Its their way of processing credit card transactions. That was 7 years ago. The website did not have a way to process credit cards, so I took the risk. I also notified my credit card company what I was doing and the dates I planned to travel, so it went smoothly.

How did you book before the upgrade?

Jamestown, New York
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

i booked through Apple Vacations but for the same upgrade they want more than double and i dont want to wait and hope the upgrade room is available when i get there

nyc
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

Is the resort asking for the upgrade? If so, go ahead and book it. As long as you let your c/c know, they could protect fishy charges.

Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

actually I found that if you are using credit card over the phone or internet they do ask for copies or pictures of the card so they have proof of the card, some ask for fax or photo copies. prevents fraud on their behalf .

if it was an actual credit card transaction thru the internet then yes its fishy but if its just you and them using the card then I see them asking.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

I JUST did this as well to book an upgrade at a resort in Jamaica. I have also done it separate resort's in Disney and Universal. It is a legitimate practice. If you are booking a trusted resort you will be fine.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
638 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

Hey Burghfan18.....just wondering what property you were booking thru Apple.? We are in the process of booking our summer vacation potentially thru apple. Haven't quite yet decided where we are going. Is it generally more expensive to upgrade a room thru apple as opposed to directly through the resort? Thanks Jamey

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,010 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

I've booked hundreds of hotels using a credit card, both for vacations and for business, and never have I been asked for any of that. I write software that processes many thousands of credit card transactions a month, and none of my customers require copies of the card or driver's licenses over the phone, or online.

Mark

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

Mark....when you are prepaying ( not booking or reserving but actually PAYING ) over the phone whether in the US or in another country they are going to need a copy of the front and back of the card with a copy of I'D for security purposes.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,010 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone ever done this or been asked?

I've purchased many things over the phone, or online, and my customers use my software to bill their customers many thousands of times a month, in many countries. No such requirements. Every time I've travelled on a vacation, I pay over the phone or online - no such requirements, whether it's for the flights, resort, vacation package, etc. They simply run the card. If it goes through, it's good to go.

Mark