We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

Our first trip to the Dominican in August, I was wondering if there was anything around our hotel? Gift shops, markets, supermarkets that type of thing. We usually like to have a walk out and a look round on an evening after our meal. I dont expect it to be like the European places we normally go to but hopefully there will be something? Also we will have a wheelchair so it needs to be suitable for that too.

One more quick question, from the UK is the Dominican Peso best to take?

Thanks

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

If you are at the iberostar then you have market shops available to you just down the beach. You will see them looking right...we take $US dollars

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

OK thanks for that, is there anything else around about or is the hotel on its own out on a limb? Is there a local town or village that is nearby worth taking a look at?

We don't really want to travel nearly half way round the world, not to make the most of what we can see.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

If you have a look on Google maps you get a good idea of what it is like. A long beach lined by AI resorts - there are a few areas of shops and cafes but IMO not much to do off resort in the imeadiate area. A lot of visitors though are happy with that.

You will need $10 to enter the country and $20 to leave. I would limit the number of dollars you take as going AI means you may not need to spend so much. You could use a credit card to pay for larger purchases and the rate pound to peso is usally quite good. One card recommended on here is Halifax Clarity which does not charge for purchases overseas. You can also get pesos from ATM machines in the hotel.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

Also To your left while on the beach walk down(not very far at all) between Riu Bavaro and Riu Macao is Caribbean street you can shop there also.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

Caribbean Street Shopping is between Iberostar Punta Cana and Iberostar Dominicana. Lots of nice shops and a Duty - Free Shop with good prices. W/C accessible and on the resort property.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

Simon.....just a little thought maybe.....you asked if it's wheelchair suitable to walk to the off resort shops/ market stalls. In my experience that would be very difficult if it's ' beach walk' to get access.

In DR the walks are usually done just round the resort grounds after dinner, it's not like our European trips, but just go with the flow and enjoy the people watch....lol!

Someone may know of another path/walkway/road to the beach shops that would be wheelchair friendly?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
988 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

Caribbean street shopping is located right next to the Riu Macao i know this because i stayed at the Macao and it's right next door to it. You can even see the roof tops of the shops from the Macao.

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

two caribbean streets, cinnamongirl and kathryn 752 both correct on your given locations but the one at the riu wont be a option due to no path or walkway with a wheelchair.

manchester england
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

ps, the street at the iberostar is between the dominicana and the bavaro resorts, no problem with a chair from the punta cana resort.

Scarborough, United...
Level Contributor
219 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Out & about around Iberostar Punta Cana

Lots of really useful information there, thank you everyone.

Can anyone tell me about the trips that there are available? I realise that because of the need to use a wheelchair a lot of the trips might not be appropriate. However we have managed on our European ventures to at least fit things in like a boat trip, which we all really enjoy. We can normally take the chair to the walkway then my Mother can walk with help to get on the boat and the chair can fold up.

She can do a little walking, so things don't need to be 100% wheelchair friendly. What we don't want is to have to miss out on everything, if that makes sense.