We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

kalamazoo
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

Our travel voucher through Bookit indicates that a $400 us resort creidit is included. Has anyone used this and what is it good for, or are ther hoops ( time share) to jump through?

Oakmont...
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

yeah most of those are jump through the hoops of listening to the time share pitches. some have still gotten them after saying no thanks. too much fine print for those credits though.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

Just say not interested in Vac Club and ask for the coupons. You will sign a sheet and they give you the coupons. They are discounts on extra services such as the Spa, dinner on the beach, better wine. etc. They do save you money if you do those extras. I use the wine one that gives you $10 off a wine purchase for dinner, I think you get 4 of them.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

Yeah, they're gonna try to pitch you on buying into a club for $20,000 or something ridiculous like that, for the privilege of getting 25% off on future vacations, and then give you coupons that will give you a percentage off of things you'll have to spend money on - that you normally wouldn't do. It's a ripoff.

Mark

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,983 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

For people who are going to buy wine or use the spa, etc the coupons will be of benefit to them

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

It's not a benefit, FFM. Jack the prices up, and give people coupons so they think they're getting a deal. Charge $50 for a bottle of wine that should be $35, and give them a $10 coupon. Charge $200 for a massage that should be $100, and give them 30% off. Then hopefully they like what they got, and will have to pay full whack for the next one, at a tremendous profit. It's business. It happens all over the place.

I get a kick out of people who think they're getting some kind of fantastic deal with $2000 in resort credits for a week long stay that costs less than that. I know someone who took advantage of the resort credits and ended up being shocked at the bill when she was checking out.

Mark

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

The prices for services are going to be the same , coupons or not, so if you are going to use the service and can save a few dollars then they are an advantage. I usually buy wine at dinner and the prices are very reasonable. With the coupons I get $40 off for the week, without the coupons I don't save. Yes, it would be nice if resorts didn't mark services up.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

The prices are what they are BECAUSE they are giving everybody coupons. The coupons serve an additional purpose, because people think they need to sit through the sales pitch for the real scam, which is the vacation club. And sadly, it works. That's why they do it. It makes money.

Mark

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

Guess I wasn't aware that when they started the coupons they raised prices on all of their extras.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

It's a common ploy, bbgamer. I've had scads of customers who have done this over the years. I've had to write such things into my software for it. It's not to be confused with loss leaders, where companies will provide discounts now and again to entice you to come, and hope you buy more in the future. This is a built in mechanism for profit.

Mark

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Secrets Royal Beach Resort Credits

We always got the coupons and said a firm no to sales pitch. The wine and spa ones we usually use.

Never were bothered after saying no.

We have gone to non AM resorts and the price of bottles of wine and couples message are usually right around the same price.