We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security concerns at Breathless?

Maryville, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Security concerns at Breathless?

After reading a few recent reviews, it appears there may be security concerns regarding personal belongings. One reviewer had cash taken out of the room safe, another reviewer had cash taken from a hidden spot in the room, and another had an IPod stolen. I realize that one issue is an outlier, however 2 issues is a trend and 3 issues is a problem.

Has anyone had any additional issues with personal belongings being taken from their room at Breathless? I am mildly concerned as we are a little over 2 weeks from going there and I don't like hearing things like this so close to us leaving

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

We didn't have an issue at all. I read that one about the iPad and I believe they left it outside on the patio of a ground floor room and anyone could have taken that not just resort staff.

You read about thefts at many resorts. Thankfully in all our travels we haven't experienced it.

Be very careful when locking your safe and always pull on it to make sure it is locked tight.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

People that have "cash" stolen I take with a grain of salt.

There is THEFT everywhere, every resort, every country.

Danvers...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

I too am concerned about all the thefts at Breathless. I believe there are now 5 reports of money stolen from the safes!!! Also, quite a few people have reported a problem with their safe which was resolved quickly by staff. After doing some reading on hotel room safes I found out that if you enter your combination incorrectly 2 times the safe locks and displays an error message. Does this mean that all or some of the people reporting "problem with the safe" have had an unsuccessful attempt by somebody to open their room safe? Clearly there have been far too many reports of theft and staff rummaging through guests personal belongings to believe it isn't occurring. My wife and I have been traveling to the Caribbean at least twice a year for over 20 years - this is the first time I have ever been concerned about the room safe. Also I have been to Excellence, Majestic Elegance, Iberostar Grand and NOW (was Eden H back then) when they were brand new and never had any of the problems that Breathless has. Sorry for the rant, I think I may have made a mistake booking this resort.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

I read that these safes come with a backdoor password. Perhaps they need to change that password. Then again, perhaps those people just misplaced whatever it is they think was stolen, or forgot to lock the safe. I've done that.

Mark

Pa
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

I did some reading about these problems also and have seen recommendations about getting a device called milockie. I have looked at that website and it sounds promising. Anyone have any experience in using these

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

The reviews on Amazon for Milockie are pretty bad..

I would shy away

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

It has been said before "only take with you, what you can afford to lose" and that is not just for PC, but for anywhere you travel. Now, I know that it's easier said than done, I too take my iPad, phone, camera, some cash... All I'm saying is maybe hold back on what not is a necessity. No one needs more than one device to check in, or jewelry, or excessive cash. Just take what you have too.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

Engagement rings should never be taken on a trip out of the country. Only bring your wedding band..

dont keep all your cash together in one spot.. Hide it through out the room..

Just dont forget where you hid it.

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

And there are those few egotists who may not dare admit that the item was actually 'lost.' In over 30 years of various countries and resort, have never had anything taken from a room, even items/jewelry/cameras that were left out of safe. Only excess cash and passports goes into safe. Anything else, I don't worry about.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,329 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Security concerns at Breathless?

Modern electronic safes have an internal memory chip which records the password used to open and close the safe and the times and this information can be downloaded for the management to look at