We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

We are traveling to Punta Cana for the first time the last week in August. I have a few questions if anyone could help that would be great!

Ive read where it's really hot in August is it humid as well? I know Mexico it is hot and humid and along with that comes mosquitoes too. Are the bugs bad around that time?

Is it worth upgrading to Exhale Club? We are booking our room this weekend through Cheap Caribbean. We had planned on booking the Allure room then possibly upgrading once we arrived if there are rooms available. Its an extra $200 per person if we do it now does anyone know how much it is to upgrade upon arrival? Are the amenities that much better? We prefer the beach to the pool so I like the fact the there are rooms close. How easy is it to request a room close to the beach even if we go with the Allure room ?

How is the cell reception there? We always get on a international plan to use our cell phones when going out of the country. I like to get online and still catch up on what is going on in good ole Indiana and other parts of the US while enjoying some coffee. I know if we book Exhale we get complimentary wifi how does it work with the Allure rooms?

Are the jacuzzi's only on the balcony of the Exhale Club rooms?

Are the restaurants all spread out or are they pretty close together? We are used to staying at large resorts where yo have to take a golf cart or trolley to get to some of the restaurants.

Is it safe to go off of the resort? Ive read many different opinions about this. My husband doesnt see the point of going to an AI resort and leaving. I would like to try at least one well known restaurant while we are there...if we decide to do that what is the best place to try?!?!

Thanks so much for any help!!

Oakmont...
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

Exhale Club, there is some perks to it, like the 2 privates lounges with a few extra choices in booze and beer. You get the butler but i never used the butler, could not figure out how to use. The use of the Strip Grill for Breakfast and Lunch was nice cause it was close to the beach and open air dining. Was nice to hear the ocean and feel the breeze. Would I purchase it if i had the choice?? The price would have to be right for me to do it, more like close to free or free. Could spend money else on my trip for say roomier seats on the flights.

Why worry about cell service when you get free calls back to the states from your room phone or the app they have to use. Save the money on the international rates on that cell and throw it on Airplane, and turn on the Wifi, cause it works all over the resort and yes will cut off occassionaly but always works for the most part.

Jacuzzis are on the balcony of all rooms.

Restaurants are for the most close together except for the Strip Grill and Sofrito. They are closer to the beach area.

Going off resort you just have to play it smart and beware of your surroundings and have a blast. Do not wear flashy bling or flash a huge wad of cash to attract attention to yourself. You will be fine off resort. Its just like anywhere else in the world you just gotta watch yourself no matter where you go in the world.

Was there at the end of Jan/early Feb, had such a blast going back in early June for our return trip!! anything just ask away.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

Hi kwiggs :)

While not at Breathless, we stayed in the same area (Zoetry) in August of 2012. Yes, it was HOT and HUMID. Beautiful nonetheless, especially with the lovely ocean breezes- we really only noticed the heat walking the five or seven minutes up to the lobby area. We had very short sprinkles on two early mornings, and one heavy rain storm one night, but the weather was superb.

Not everyone is bothered, and it can depend on the weather and the amount of foliage around, but there were mosquitos when we were there - mostly in the early evening, and worse one night after dinner, after the heavy rain. We brought Deep Woods OFF and were well protected. We also brought mosquito coils to light on our patio at night and they worked well - we shared a couple with the bartenders in the lobby bar, and they were very grateful, lol.

We also used our OFF when at the beach - helped protect against sandflea bites on lower legs and ankles. Again, not everyone is bothered, but hubby didn't listen the first day, and suffered quite a few nasty, itchy bites - I also suggest hydrocortisone cream in case of any bites.

It is a lovely area - we are returning this July and can't wait! I do suggest a walk just up the beach (left when facing the ocean at Breathless) to Tropical Treasures - you won't be able to miss it - yellow house right on the beach. The owner is a lovely German lady who sells souvenirs of all kinds, all at fixed, reasonable prices. She also takes care of the beach dogs in the area - nice place for a visit and a cold drink.

Enjoy your trip :D

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

Thanks for the responses!! @laceyblue I will have to check out the Tropical Treasures. Sounds right up my alley!!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

Thank you all for sharing your valuable information! If anyone has an specific question, please feel free to pm me :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

I forgot to ask not that we are big drinkers but we do like to have some cocktails! Do they offer the regular size bottles of liquor in the room like some resorts do in either the Allure rooms or Exhale Club rooms?

Oakmont...
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

No to the Allure rooms i do believe, and the Exhale Club there was a small bottle of Brugal Rum.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

amresorts.com/mediasite/…brepc_pg.pdf

The link above is to the AMResorts product guide for Breathless. It is full of great information, including what amenities are available for Xhale guests. Read through it and decide if the perks are worth it to you.

The Breathless e Concierge is great and will answer your questions pretty quickly on their facebook page:

https:/…

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

Okay great thank you !! Ill check it out for sure!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

Have any of you been to the spa? Have you done the sip, savor & see at the other resorts?

Oakmont...
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finally decided on Breathless..now for some questions!

Wife went to the Spa and enjoyed her time there. She was gone for what seemed for ever but she used all the extras things they have there. Prices are bit higher than here in the states but she only ever has time for a Spa day while away on vacation.....Have not tried the Sip and Savor but i do know if you do try to do this you are on your own for transportation out of pocket.