We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Ambar

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Back from Ambar

So.. late 20s girlfriend and I'm mid 30s. We stayed at the Ambar from March 20th to the 24th.

Food was typical buffet style so not much to say about that; it's good for a 3-4 night stay and for sure can get old on a week long stay.

Beach area was good but that goes for the whole punta cana area. We did notice that the Ambar beach water area was closer roped in than other resorts so it does somewhat feels like a corral after a swim elsewhere. The beach chairs thing.. we always found some, but we definitely are the kind of people who don't mind being a few rows out. Service from the bar was excellent.

The pool was good but seemed under staffed at the busiest time to the point where I would leave the swim up and get faster service just around the other side (dry) od the bar.. kind of defeating the swim up deal.

We were there for the Saturday night pool party.. it was fun.

The room was nice and big. The only complaint I had, and it could of been a building 61 problem, was a septic sewage smell.. I think it was coming up from the shower but sometimes we smelled it in the hall.. dunno..

The staff was very good but in a typical all inclusive style.. nothing fantastic there. This place didn't feel 5 star to me..

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Ambar

I'll add that the age group here is definitely 40+ but you can leave the Ambar area for a different crowd and we didn't really do that.

Ambar entertainment is pretty "classy". We never checked out the other properties.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Ambar

Def think you made a mistake not exploring the entire resort

Toronto
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Ambar

Thanks for posting your review. I'm wondering if I made a massive mistake booking The Ambar rather than Secrets :s

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from Ambar

I hear ya Joseph. We did go to the Bavaro next door for awhile. We were all pretty tired after days spent drinking and in the sun that staying up past 11pm seemed impossible.

4 nights is really 3 and the bahia properties are so big that if I spent half a day on each one I'd probably enjoy none.

I live in NYC and there's no shortage of chaos here..

Edited: 27 March 2014, 12:12
DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from Ambar

NotoriousToronto, personally, we find the food pretty good at the buffet, always something for everyone, and the ala cartes very good. Food is very subjective anyway. We are headed back for our 5th time with friends, who have been there before as well, so in my opinion, it is our little piece of paradise. KelvinE643 is right, alot of people 40+, that's why we like it there, we are in that age bracket and it's quiet and peaceful, unlike the Punta Cana/Bavaro side, we find that a little too much for us, very loud. Go and have fun, you are, after all, in paradise :-)

Different strokes for different folks, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from Ambar

My best tip to anyone who wants to party through the night is to find time for a 90 minute nap.

If you stop drinking 5:30 ish.. Shower, eat dinner, you can sleep from 730-9.

Get up shower then hit the bars & clubs.

Those 90 minutes are a life saver.

Just my 2 pennies

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from Ambar

Joe it takes a certain skill and years of experience to accomplish the 10am to 4/5am routine lol... pace yourself, water in between, pizza and other foods that soak up the booze, a hour nap on the beach while catching a tan and your good to go.

Your either a trooper or not lol..

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from Ambar

The amount of hamburgers I eat during the day to soak the booze up.

Yet I still tend to lose weight on the vacation, it makes no sense.

Italy is the only place I ever gained weight during a 2 week vacation (15 lbs)

But Italy on the whole is a disgusting country.

The way they treat stray dogs and the amount of filth that most people dont see is overwhelming.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from Ambar

Kelvin, it's too bad You didn't check out the Ambar's sister resorts, where there is a younger crowd at the Sports bar, Karaoke, and the late night Disco.

10. Re: Back from Ambar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 05:16