We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Topic
Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

I am going to the Ocean Blue for the first time on April 24-28 as well my first time to the DR. We opted for not upgrading to the Privelage, will I regret having done so?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

Like they say, you really don't miss what you never had, right?

We prefer Privilege, and we are used to it now, so when we return, we'd most likely not want to do without those little extras-----but you can have a nice vacation there with or without. Depends on what is important to you for your vacation, there's another poster here who always chimes in and insists that the upgrade is not worth it--although that poster has only visited the resort, never actually stayed there for a week or more.

We pay about $300 more for the week, which is worth it to us.

As I was just telling yet another poster who IS going to Ocean Blue:

"For US, Privilege was worth every "dime". Some of us used the wifi, some enjoyed the VSOP and other top liquors in the lounge, we all were very pleased to have a reserved table for dinner every night, no waiting, and no need to eat at 6:30; we had our preferred time of 8PM dining each night, and of course the delicious surf and turf on the beach at Bucanero without paying the $40+ upcharge per person. Also liked the spa discounts for Privilege and the upgraded bedding and toiletries, and upgraded mini bar so nice to have liquors and wine in the room when we wanted.

Also enjoyed the twice daily treats at the Privilege beach and having drink service right at our Bali bed each day,

but our favorite perq of Privilege was the wonderful a la carte breakfasts just steps from our room, so instead of walking all the way up to the buffets by the main plaza area and having to serve ourselves amid the usual clatter and chatter of a buffet, we were served as we enjoyed sitting at our breakfast table facing the ocean each morning and lingering over that continually refilled cup of coffee if we wished. Just got every day off to a terrific start for us!

I can understand why someone might not choose to take this upgrade as the resort still offers a nice product for nonPrivileged guests, and paying for a family of five would be paying for some things that (3)children wouldn't much appreciate.

But whether the upgrade is worth the cost (TO YOU) is still a matter of OPINION."

For your FIRST visit, why not focus on what IS included in the non Privilege, and if you want, you might even be able to upgrade after a day or two, if rooms in 6 or 10 Privilege Villas are available. Just another possibility.

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

Thank you so much for your quick response. I am more of a beer drinker so upgraded liquor probably may not mean much to me as maybe to my BF. I am concerned about the bedding though, but I sleep like a rock so it may not even matter with a few beers in me LOL! I live in Florida so the beach which I'm sure it absolutely beautiful is not a huge concern for me. The swim up bars seem more my style. I hear that the food is just average, but even cruise buffet food is good to me so I'm sure I will be ok with that as well. Like you said I won't know what I am missing! For what it' s worth I knew that you would be the one to answer me lol! You are such a wealth of knowledge!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

My first trip to Punta Cana, I did not stay in a privilege/VIP section at the Majestic Elegance. I loved it.

My second trip last year, I stayed in the VIP Royal Service at Melia Caribe Tropical. I loved it, and am booked to return in June to the new Level VIP section.

Would I travel without upgrading? Yes. I know what to expect, and what would be too much to expect. You are booked into a good resort and will likely enjoy yourself very much as is. My suggestion is to know what is included in your privilege upgrade and decide if it is worth the cost. If your budget allows, upgrade. If not, enjoy yourself. It will certainly not change your experience that much.

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

Thank you so much for your input. I guess since it is our first time I do not know what to expect so I can't be too disappointed. I have heard great things about OB&S and some not so great things. I will keep an open mind and be bound & determined to have fun! It really hasn't cost me much at all. the flight was free through reward points and the 4 night stay was only 340.00 so where else can you go that is all inclusive for that little! I can have fun anywhere!

UK
Level Contributor
877 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

We have been to Ocean Blue twice, and loved it both times.

The first holiday there we upgraded after 1 week because we loved the privilege lounge on the beach and all it had to offer, this together with the dinner reservations, room closer to the beach, separate privilege beach area with Bali beds with waiter service gave us what we wanted, privilege also meant we were to get better quality alcohol, such as branded imported spirits but this wasn't the case because even if you are not privilege but just asked for top shelf spirits you would get them.

You will have a fantastic holiday without privilege, it is quite an extra expense, the money saved could fund another holiday later on.

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

Hi schatzUk, what kinda Branded booze they got there, me and misses are Vodka Drinkers, I suppose it would be nice to upgrade but like you said I would have to give up one of my 2 cruises ive got booked, 1 week in med in October, and 2 weeks Carribean cruise beginning of January 2015, let me know about the Booze ok

Alex

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

I can use the money I save to gamble on my Vegas trip in Oct! I have pretty plain tastes so I'm sure it will be a great trip. It doesn't take much to please me so I'm not worried. If I drink liquor it would be in a fruity drink so I really don't care about the premium liquors. Just looking to have a great trip and lay in the sun and have some fun!

Irvine, United...
Level Contributor
538 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

Hi kimbjohnson, your my kinda people, me and my misses have fun where ever we go, we go cruises and dress up as pirates , been to Egypt a few times and I dress as the Pharaoh and my wife dresses as Cleopatra, we get some funny looks LOL ,have a great time, when you going ?

Alex

UK
Level Contributor
877 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

From memory they had absolute vodka but you need to ask for it by name, in truth it is over 2 years since we last went.

The staff are fantastic, really friendly & helpful.

On our second visit Crystal from the lobby bar remembered us & Came running over & gave my husband a big hug, she used to call him papa.

Ask for block 9 pool view room, it gives you an ocean view as well.

Have fun.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ocean Blue-Privelage vs Non Privelage

I hear that the food is just average, but even cruise buffet food is good to me so I'm sure I will be ok with that as well. Like you said I won't know what I am missing! For what it' s worth I knew that you would be the one to answer me lol! You are such a wealth of knowledge.>>>>

Well, thanks, I do know a good bit about this resort since I've been there this year and last year, and did my research before going. Also we spent another vacation week at the H10 property Ocean Coral and Turquesa in Puerto Morelos and there are some similarities between the two places.

I think you will be pleased with the food, many have had good things to say about their buffets, but we never ate dinner there. But even without a reservation you will surely be able to get into some of the a la carte dinner restaurants where you will find good service with a lovely presentation and a nice variety of dishes. We find that the quality of beef has improved over the years since we first started visiting PC, and I enjoyed some VERY nice filet of beef at the Italian, at the Steakhouse (may be hardER to get into this one without reservation), and at Bucanero (extra charge if not Privilege). But we also ate at the Caribbean, French, and Mexican restaurants and of six of us, no one complained about their meal!

If anything, the desserts were not that impressive in the restaurants, but the sweets at Mike's Coffee were great so you could also go there for after dinner dessert, or for a treat any time of day. No extra charge for this and open to non Privilege as well.

We ate lunch at the buffet on the beach each day because we spend our days at the beach, but I have heard good thing about the various BBQs that are presented at the pools around lunchtime. Another option.

Anyway, I think you will find the food to be better than you may be expecting.

When at the swim up, since you like some fruity mixed drinks, check out the menu of drinks, there are some interesting choices there to try something new.

Have a great trip. I'm sure your four days will go by far too quickly, maybe you will return for a longer stay sometime!