We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The same question, with a twist

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
The same question, with a twist

Fellow travelers:

I probably have the same questions others have asked, but I have been trying to find answers on this forum to no avial. We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) planning a quick getaway in the beginning of June. We have never been to the Dominican Republic, but went to Cancun and though we enjoyed it we would like to change the air a little and also experience calmer waters (Cancun was very choppy).

My first priority is that I don't like water motors were I am swimming, so the area were we would stay would have to be free of those. Also, we are not interested in golf or night entertainment, so I don't want to pay (in an all inclusive rate) for this since I am not going to use it.

Any suggestions on resorts we should look at? We are not fussy about food and actually like rabbit and cow's tongue (lol). We are looking more for a nice 5 days of doing nothing yby a beautiful beach. Your help is appreciated! Thanks,

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The same question, with a twist

Catalonia

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The same question, with a twist

which one? there are several? what are the differences between the beach at La Romana and Bavaro? Thanks

Pawtucket, Rhode...
Level Contributor
112 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The same question, with a twist

We will going to the Bavaro Princess for the 5th time at the end of April. I believe it has one of the best beaches in the Dominican. There us entertainment, but all by the staff. There is no water craft on the beach per se. No more than anywhere else. And the swimming area is certainly roped off. Ok food, great staff, and outstanding beach!

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The same question, with a twist

Catalonia Bavaro

As for Bavaro Princess it's smack in the middle of all the resorts and tons of boat traffic in that area....

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The same question, with a twist

how bout catalonia la romana?

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The same question, with a twist

Sorry don't know about the one in La Romana

Here's the thing with Punta Cana. All of Punta Cana is not called "Bavaro"... there is different areas. On the below link is a map of all the locations of the resorts.

Since boat traffic is important to you the resorts in Arena Gorda, El Cortecito and Bavaro is highly congested.

Generally the closer to the airport is where the nice calm ocean is... so on the map you do have Uvero Alto but that is far up North... No boat traffic but ocean can be rough and the beach sand is more of a tan color.

Cabeza De Toro and down is nice calmer oceans and tend to have less boat traffic.

puntacanatv.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/P…

Edited: 31 March 2014, 19:18
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The same question, with a twist

Dreams La Romana is supposed to be very nice (haven't been myself). We've been to Dreams Palm Beach in 2011 and I don't recall there being any boat traffic and it was a great resort. Not sure of your kids ages, but my son was 7 and he loved all their activities and kids club. We found the food very good and liked that you didn't need to make reservations for dinner.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 19:44
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The same question, with a twist

Also wanted to suggest a couple of other resorts in the Mayan Riviera - Grand Palladium Riviera Maya and Barcelo Maya (there are different sections Beach/Caribe; Colonial/Tropical; Palace - with B/C being least expensive and Palace the most expensive). The water at both these resorts is flat/calm and no boat traffic - great for snorkeling. We just came back from the Barcelo Maya Tropical and loved it.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 19:47
Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
915 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The same question, with a twist

is that Catalonia punta cana?? Thanks

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The same question, with a twist

Catalonia Bavaro Beach

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g147293-d218482-…