We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in May

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in May

Hi

I'm thinking of going to Punta Cana for the last 2 weeks in May but I have read that this is the wettest month - is this true? Should I expect rain every day? Does it rain all day or are they quick showers? Are there other parts in the Dominican which are drier in May?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to spend all this money and for it to rain the whole time!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in May

it would be hard to find a spot in the DR dryer than Punta Cana, as Punta Cana is over all a dry hole. exception would be the area around Lago Enriquillo on the south west, at the Haitian border, as there the climate is a bonedry desert climate.

punta cana has no thing such as a rainy season or such. in general we are more windy and more cloudy/rainy? during the winter monhs, and dryer and much warmer and calmer during spring and summertime.

you can hit a couple cloudy and even rainy days during any month out of the year, there is no specific time frame/specific month or such to pick.

for myself i love May, as it provides in general (again, thats just a overview by 20 years experience, NOT a weather guarantee, there are exceptional days happening every month of the year) lowest to zero winds with sunny skies and very calm Ocean Conditions.

happy travels

Mike

Princeton Jct., NJ
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in May

We've been going to Punta Cana in May most years since 2008 and have experienced very little rain ever. We "wait" for a rainy day to do the indoor spa thing and often don't get one and have to spa it during the sun. Love the weather in May. Will be there at the end of May again this year......although usually we try and make it earlier in the month for our own schedules.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in May

Thanks for that summary, Mike. This will be our first trip to DR (first week in May) but we have traveled multiple times to Jamaica in May and June. Both sides of the island. And this is considered their rainy season. Out of 30-40 days we experienced three or four rainy days. I would assume most of the islands in this area of the Caribbean are the same. Go book your vacation and enjoy, Cathryn.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in May

no Cathryn,

you can in no way compare the island weather that way, for the big islands like Cuba, Hispañiola/DR and Puerto Rico, with their very different terrain/topography at different locations, you can not even put a "same weather" pattern for one of those islands at all, and much less for the whole northern caribbean region where the greater antilles are located. Jamaica is a very small dot on the map compared to the other 3. even small PR contains a very high mountain range and shows different weather conditions at different locations. the much larger Hispañiola/DR contains several very different climatological zones. for example a wide often dry area like Punta Cana, then we have the Tropical Forrests on the Northeast, named the Parque Los Haitises, where very most of the Country's Waterreservoirs are stored and of course also raining down there, our Dominican Amazonas. and we have high mountain ranges where the temps are down and the air get's thin, we reach up to over 10.000ft of elevation at Pico de Duarte, the highest Mountaintop of the Caribbean, and we have a Desertlike climate on the southwest in Enriquillo including the 2nd lowest point of the american continents below Sealevel(47 meters below zero), only Dead Valley is located lower with i guess 78 meters below Zero. so you may imagine that this country alone does not follow a unique/common weather pattern all around, and such is much less the case comparing to other islands.

as for the area known as Punta Cana, there does NOT exist anything like a rainy season or such, here we pray for some strong showers once in a while year around. right now for example we passed a much too mild and too dry winter, all is bonedry and the overall outlook on the tracks of the usually watering Frontal Systems sorrily suggerates that we will stay very dry til next Fall/Winter. some water due Tropical Storms seems to be our only chance for water this season, and historically those do not bring us much of it.

Mike

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in May

My only point was that rain seems to be rare and to not worry about it. Lol. Ps/ I'm not the OP. I was speaking to the OP.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 03:12
Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
121 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in May

My wife and I the past 5years to punta Cana have gone in October and that's a rainy time but not there no less than 8days each time rained only 3times and it was brief .now we are going in early May and I could only daydream for four more weeks on how great it will be weather wise.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in May

Cathryn, You could, and will see hit and miss showers, but they don't last very long, usually a half hour or less, May is not the month for heavy rain storms, that more likely in the mid or late summer months of July, August, and September. Go with confidence, that your Holiday in Punta Cana, will not be ruined by a lot of rain.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in May

Thank you for all your comments. Looks like we're going to Dominican Republic in May then :-)

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
584 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in May

We are also travelling in May.

Will the weather be humid? Will evenings be hot?

Thanks

Deb

Princeton Jct., NJ
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in May

The later in May you get, the warmer and more humid it is. We love it in May, as long there is a breeze. June through September seem to be the hottest, most humid. If you look at weather charts, they seem to say that it's pretty much the same all year round. We find the pool temps can be a little chilly in April, but nicer in May. You can feel the difference when you leave the beach with nice light breezes and walk towards lobby, getting hotter. We'll be there in May again this year. This will be the latest in May we've ever gone as we are staying into the beginning of June......It's the way our schedules worked out.