We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son with different last name

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Andover, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Son with different last name

I see that this question has been asked many times but the responses are all at least 4+ years old. I'm hoping to hear from someone who has had a recent experience traveling from the USA.

My 14 year old son does not have my re-married name. He will have a passport but do I need to provide further proof that he is in fact my son. Plus do I need that notorized letter from his biological father giving permission?

Thanks in advance for your reply, TMM

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Son with different last name

I have the same thing with my daughter, she has my last name, but travels frequently to US and Canada with her Dad. They were stopped and questioned the first time, at Calgary airport. Since then, I have always sent a letter along with a photocopy of my passport, detailing that I consent to their travel plans, and I include the flight details and where they are staying.

Wetaskiwin, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Son with different last name

My son has my last name, but he lives with me and my partner. I always have a Consent to Travel letter notarized by his father that I take with me. The letter details all the travel information. I've only been asked to produce it once, but better to have it, and not need it than to need it and not have it. Send me a private message I have a blank one that I can email you if you would like.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Son with different last name

Here's a link to various approved forms you can fill out & have notarized. Better to have it and not need it...


Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
16,934 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Son with different last name

You need the notarized letter from the biological dad stating ok to travel out of the country with him


Level Contributor
2,239 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Son with different last name

This is to protect child abduction. It should be done in other countries and im suprised its not checked always. Like others have said, notorized letter with detailed info.

Wetaskiwin, Canada
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Son with different last name

kapitan ~ me too. The one time they asked for it I was coming back INTO Canada. However I had it so all was good :)

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Son with different last name

Notarized letter. I've travelled with my son to Cuba twice, Bahamas & Flordia and only had it checked once in Toronto returning from Cuba. Regardless I always get the note.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Son with different last name

What if you do not have contact with the biological father? What happens then?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Son with different last name

it is the Law here in DR.

to pass immigrations with a Minor(it is not just for little ones, it is for every minor of 18 years or less of age) a single traveling Parent needs the notarized papers from the other parent, grandparents or other non-parents traveling with a minor need the notarized papers of both parents.

sure it is not checked always, but it is the law and if you are picked for a check and you don't have the required papers handy, then you would not leave the country with the child on the planned flight.

i wished it would be always asked about those papers, as child obduction is big business running all around the globe.

happy travels


Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Son with different last name

I thought the notarized papers was only required for Dominican children.

It is not required for foreign visitors, but it is recommended according to Jetblue.


I have a sole custody of my kids, so i just carry the court order with me each time we travel.

I will take a copy of my marriage license next time we go, just to prove name change.

I hope we will not have any problems, because no way I can get in contact with my ex.