We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport departure and the photo ladies

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Airport departure and the photo ladies

I know this has been discussed before but this issue of the photo ladies keeps on popping up; there is a thread response right now from someone thankful they paid a porter so they could skip by them.

In past years, the photo ladies stopped you on arrival, but that no longer happens. Now, they try and stop you on the ramp between the airline counter and customs/security on departure. This is simply a commercial venture run by the airport/outside vendor to take your picture and then sell it to you as you enter the departures lounge. There is no obligation to take part in this. Simply stay to the left as you walk along the ramp and you will easily bypass them. One of the ladies, if they see you, may motion for you to stay to the right. Simply ignore her and keep walking. You certainly do not need a porter, and you should only stay to the right side (in the line up) if you want to spend the money on a picture.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

No, it's a traffic control measure. Before the photo ladies were there, they had security people checking passports. Same line. They just put the photo ladies in their place, but sometimes they have security personel there to stop people from bypassing the line. The other path is for airport personel, emergencies, and handicapped people.

Mark

2. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 19:29
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

Thanks Mark, because it has been started many times, and by myself that you can fight all you want, they will , and DO grab you to get back into line. And unless you are prepared to risk getting hauled off for "disorderly" to say the least, it's wise to watch your P's and Q's. I may not want to go home after a wonderful week in teh sun, but I certainly don't care to end up in a Dominican hoosegow LOL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

In all due respect Mark, how on earth do you see this as traffic control? Firstly, there are no security guards where the ladies are; they are down the ramp at the actual entrance into the security hall. Secondly, if in fact you do simply walk along to the left, the ladies will at most simply wave at you in an attempt to coerce the meek and mild back in line. If you keep walking, they simply ignore you and go back to those in line. At no point are you going to end up in a Dominican hoosegow!

This is simply a way to generate some money, although it is a poor process since a lot of people get directed thru the duty free store and bypass the place where the pictures are displayed. Regardless, my point simply is that under no circumstances do you have to wait in the right line to get your picture taken, and fast tracking yourself along the left can in fact save a good amount of time.

Have done this at least 20 times and can say I have never been threatened with jail!

5. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 19:31
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
778 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

I agree with MHEAT

It is crowd control method and it doesn't slow departure line. What slows the line is a screening process . There is not enough space in the screening area so there are the same amount of people going into the screening as coming out.

7. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 19:31
8. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 18:05
hilton head, sc
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

When I was there in January, as I got close enough to see that the slow-up in the down-ramp to the security checkpoint was because of the photo ladies, my wife and I simply stepped to the left and walked by the "handler" lady. She made a gesture to us to move back to the right, but we just kept on going and she said and did nothing more, returning her attention to the line.

If there are security people there at any time, then of course you must comply with their directions, but I doubt they would be checking your papers and then putting you back into the picture line.

10. Re: Airport departure and the photo ladies

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 19:30