We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

United States
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

I often read the food at the resorts in Punta Cana isn't very good compared to resorts in Mexico or Riviera Maya. Is in taste, cleanliness, how it's prepared? Out of the following how would the food compare at these resorts: Ocean Blue & Sands, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo Bavaro Palace and Hard Rock.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

I think that is changing, and food is improving in DR resorts.

I have not been to all of those resorts, but I have been twice to Ocean Blue, and also to Ocean Coral/turquesa in Riviera Maya (as well as about a dozen other resorts in either place).

The food at Ocean Blue was very good, I was impressed at the quality of the beef which is often not so good so we'd prefer fish, chicken, pork. but nice surprise! ---every bit of beef we tried at OB was great, just as it was at OCT. (the goat was nice too, have to have the curried goat when in DR)

We tried a different a la carte restaurant every night in both places and were happy with every dinner!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

We loved the food at the ME on both visits, but I have not been to the other resorts you mentioned so can't really compare.

Food is sooo subjective that this is a hard question to answer. We all like different things.

Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

I am a chef and will say the food at Majestic Elegance is very good is it five star gourmet quality no but very good with good presentation. They also adhere to strict food safety standards I have been in their kitchens and I know this. I can't compare the others as the ME is the only resort we go to.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
467 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

I have been to Ocean Blue and ME - the food at both was fine. DO NOT think 5-star dining. I liked the OB buffet better than ME but at ME we just choose to never go to the buffet unless we want a late-night dessert. We do, however, go to the Sea & See lunch buffet at ME and always find something yummy. OB beach buffet at lunch was great too. One thing I have to say about the DR - the chicken is amazing - always moist and delicious. I don't know if it is how they roast it or what but when I see roasted chicken at the lunch buffet, there is no other choice for me.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

Cannot comment on HR but of the others, in order. OB&S, ME, Barcelo. I say this, as my own opinion, mainly due to the a la Cartes. As LaTA has noted, the food quality has really improved over the years, the beef especially! And I have had two of the best steaks in the DR at OB and ME. But remember when it comes to the buffets, like we have heard so many times and know it to be true, it's still cooking for the masses and affordable ingredients.

United States
Level Contributor
337 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

Thank you for all the comments, Love hearing positive things and that the food quality is improving. We always keep in mind buffets are just that and everyone's taste for something is different. With that being said, still want good & safe food.

Taprice - it looks like you have stayed at resorts we are considering with the exception of HR. Is there one you prefer over another. We are in our 50's with teenagers. Looking for variety of restaurants, prefer not to have to make reservations for the week when we arrive. Also, things of interest, nice beach/water, good pools with entertainment staff & activities, snorkeling, close to airport.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

For teens, hands down OB&S, they have a climbing wall, video game room, bowling, pool, water sports, coffee house, so much to do. We took our, then 17 year old and she had more fun then she would have at the others. They fed the fish with leftover bread and banana from breakfast. And the pool was full of people from all over, she enjoyed meeting some kids from other places. The restaurants were important to me, lots of choices, and they did not disappoint. We were Privilege but only because it was an amazing price, I would not find it necessary at all unless you get the upgrade for cheap. For us it was only $150 pp and if we were not able to get it again at that price I wouldn't miss it at all. ME Club is not for kids, they have to be 18 and for our 25 th wedding anniversary it was fine, but I found it better suited for honeymooners, not 40 something, looking to mingle. Even in regular section teens would probably be bored. But then you might look into Majestic Colonial. Still, more to do for them at OB. Hope that helps.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
467 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

When talking about food safety (compared to taste, selection, variety etc.) we take some precautions in the buffets. I feel that the kitchen and serving staff work hard to provide "safe" food - but some guests could care less. When we eat at the buffet (lunch only) we go and get our food and before we touch our own utensils and food we use hand sanitizer. I am convinced that a lot of the sickness comes not from the food but from all of the germy hands touching the serving utensils.

Exeter, New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

I am also going to the Majestic Elegance in July. I am concerned with food safety. I have heard that their ice (we obviously plan on drinking many cocktails) is safe because its prepared with clean water. Does anyone know if that is accurate? We're also planning to drink bottled water and brush our teeth with bottled water. We may try to avoid the buffet and I've been told to avoid uncooked veggies, fruit, and salads. For the most part, we will stick to the foods delivered hot from the kitchen. I'm apprehensive about the meat, but I can probably get past that. Can anyone recommend which restaurant to visit and which one to avoid entirely?

Edited: 17 June 2014, 16:06
Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best food - Ocean Blue, Majestic Elegance, Barcelo BP, HR

Welcome to the Forums!

All water used in food preperation is filtered, ice included. Water that is served to you from pitchers is filtered.

The only water that is not safe to drink is in your room, and public bathrooms. So, like you said, use bottled for teeth and making coffee, don't swallow shower water.

Some people do brush their teeth with tap water and have zero issues, but we personally didnt want to risk it.

If you want to do what many people do, take probiotics for a few weeks before and during your stay, and take a small pepto pill before big meals. We have done this both visits and never had any sort of stomach issues, and we ate everything.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 16:09