We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boingo Wi-FI

Pawtucket, Rhode...
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Boingo Wi-FI

Has anyone tried this? I ask because Gobecon is sold out of units at this time and I was looking for another solution. This seems very promising, but I would feel better if I know someone else had successfully used it first.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boingo Wi-FI

dont know that one, but tat means nothing. where did you find them, have a link?

Mike

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boingo Wi-FI

Never heard of them, the only 2 I knows about are Gobecon and Punta cana now.

http://puntacananow.com/wifi

Pawtucket, Rhode...
Level Contributor
113 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boingo Wi-FI

http://www.boingo.com

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boingo Wi-FI

It is not a Punta Cana internet company so no one on these forums will know much about it.

From reading there "about us" it seems like it's not really internet at all but more of an internet finder app but you do have the option to "pay money" to get internet for a bit cheaper price but what kind of internet they don't really describe that part clearly.

DONT BE FOOLED HOWEVER.. You should search deeper into this company before giving any credit card info.... lots of complaints on link below about clients getting charged all the time and that they can't cancel subscriptions.

www.yelp.ca/biz/boingo-wireless-los-angeles-3

----------------

In Punta Cana there is Gobecon, but you said there sold out, the only other one that is exactly like Gobecon is Punta Cana Now (the link in post 2)... but they only rent out the wifi device if you take a transfer with them.

Your other options is the resorts wifi

And lastly if you have an "unlocked" cell phone.. which allows you to put a chip in it from any country your in.... Then you can go to either cell company in DR,... Claro or Orange.. get a sim card and pay for internet... Then you phone will have internet and many apps you can download to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot to broadcast the signal to your other devices... pretty much the same thing that Gobecon/PCnow do..

Edited: 16 April 2014, 14:16
Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Boingo Wi-FI

good advice as usual, Jim.

SIM cards as prepaid data contracts can even be purchased at the airport, and of course at any other store where Claro or Orange are present, and they are present at countless locations throughout Punta Cana, including at/near/aside the big supermarkets.

it's cheap and easy to use.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boingo Wi-FI

This may help sway you. Take a look at this persons review of a resort in DR where they used Boingo. link is below:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147292-d2185…

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,707 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boingo Wi-FI

he didn't really explain a lot regarding Boingo

8. Re: Boingo Wi-FI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:15