We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

In the past 12 months, we have been to various international airports and could not believe the outlandish prices at the Punta Cana airport. Beware because the prices for food, pharma needs or souvenirs at this airport are easily 2-3 times what we paid in Paris or London, where the cost of living is much much higher! Sadly, it left us with a bad taste for the country, after such a a nice vacation. Very disrespectful to their tourists. Have others felt the same?

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana Airport
Punta Cana Airport
Dominican Republic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

Agreed. Too pricey, so do not purchase anything airside.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,268 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

No, I couldn't care less what the prices at the airport are. And it's a privately owned airport, so I don't see how it reflects poorly on the country. The cost of living has little to do with it, because it's typically not Dominicans who are buying things at the airport. The individual companies who rent the space set the prices.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

while i agree that the prices are high at the PC airport, they are also high at any other intl airport. never found a US airport or european airport where a beer or hamburger or pizza or cup of coffee been cheaper, they all run on the high ripp off prices. punta cana is not out of the norm. i would nowhere in the world plan on purchasing pharma or souvenir yems at a airport, as i expect it to be several times more expensive than purchasing the stuff locally or back home as the norm. souvenirs are always cheapest when purchased at local souvenir shops

Mike

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

Well as a business owner myself, yes the cost of living is a critical factor. If prices are high and cost of living is low then the percentage of margin is extremely high.

Eg: $12 for bag of chips and a 6 oz bottle of orange juice, with costs of only $2 (including low labour costs, low cost of goods) would mean in Punta Cana they think that it is acceptable to ask their tourists to pay them $8 in straight profit. Whereas in Paris the same items are priced at $6 and their costs are approximately $4 (due to higher labour, higher costs of goods). That would mean the Parisians are getting a respectable profit of $2.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

Still don't see how that effects the time you spent in DR. Sorry it ruined your experience.

To anyone who is new to traveling, expect high prices at the airport.

Safe travels

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

Don't see a rational connection between (a) airport prices for "stuff" and (b) enjoyment of your vacation.

But, OK...........

PC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

If you travel internationally on a frequent basis, as you say, you should know that prices at any airport are ridiculous. So take what you need with you and perhaps buy a water. The airport will charge what the gullible tourists will pay. Always amazes me at PUJ to see families loaded up with trays of food from Wendy's, after spending a week at an All Inclusive Crazy!

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana Airport
Punta Cana Airport
Dominican Republic
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

you have to tell what pack of chips/brand you compare here.

a imported brand of chips costs the biz owner in Punta Cana way more/more than double to get such imported island on the shelf of a shop on a Islland than it costs the big Biz Man in big Paris to get the brand there which very likely is distributed by the brand right there in france without any import taxes and expensive transportation of the item to an Island involved.

a cup of nescafe costed me here in PC airport 2 Euros, in germany i pay at frankfurt airport $6.-

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

Sometimes all you can control is your reaction to things

If it ruins your trip the reason is looking back at you when you look in a mirror.

Beer there was about the same as beer in the ATL airport.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prices at the Punta Cana Airport

I was trying to give some friendly advice to fellow travellers. I was of course comparing the over the top expensive Punta Cana airport prices to other international airports. They are MUCH more expensive and simply wanted to give others the heads up.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana Airport
Punta Cana Airport
Dominican Republic