We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking a bag?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Checking a bag?

Hello! We are leaving this Friday for our trip! Super excited! I keep seeing the number one tip being to pack 24 hrs worth of things or don't check a bag at all bc it's a high probability of it being lost or stolen... Is this really common? I don't want to check at all if so but it's going to be a hassle putting sun block etc in multiple containers. Thank for the help!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking a bag?

I've never had a bag lost or stolen in 25+ trips.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking a bag?

i never had a bag lost or stolen in over 30 years of airtraveling.

sure it can happen, but is not a usual occurance.

Mike

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking a bag?

If your flying AirTran be afraid…. very afraid! Horrible/Non-existant Customer Service. Lost our checked bag for 3+ days.

We've traveled so many different places and this is only the 2nd time we've had an issue with an airline. There were 3 other families- none of them on our flight, the common thread was flying AirTran. Never again! Pack what you can in carry on.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking a bag?

We ARE flying AirTran! Yikes!!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking a bag?

Have flown on AirTran, and didn't have any problem with luggage, but it could have happen with any airline. Don't wast time worrying about it, it's a very, very, very, small chance that your bags will get lost, or delayed. Best Wishes, Leo & Sue

Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking a bag?

I lost all my suitcase with my clothes and souvineers (re: tequila) in it when retuning from Playa del Carmen one year. Layover was in Atlanta and we do everything possible to avoid Atlanta airport and get a direct flight.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking a bag?

I know I've read where people have done it, but you'd have to be one crafty packer to get a week's worth into a carry-on, lol. But kudos to those who can do it!

We followed the tip about 24 hrs. worth of clothes and necessities into a carry-on and a back pack, but couldn't imagine a week's worth - the amount of suggested sunscreen, combined with meds, clothes, shoes (even only bring 2 or 3 pairs) and that fact that hubby needs his beside table fan, lol, it wouldn't work for us.

I think with direct flights, the chance of delayed/lost luggage is much less. If we had to stop and change planes, I think I'd be a little more concerned. We are still packing a few 24 necessities in our carry-on, but have no problem checking our bags. Crossed fingers, no issues yet and I really do think it's a rare occurrence.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!! :D

Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Checking a bag?

I did carry on only for Europe, 2 1/2 weeks. So def possible, just have to get creative, and willing to wash a few things in the sink if need be....not sure id want to do that on a relaxing vacation in Puta Cana though, also, the sunscreen, and toiletries would be a pain....if you're determined, go for it!

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checking a bag?

I hate to be the one to worry you about it, but I've always packed enough essentials & toiletries for a day or 2 just in case something like this happened. After day 2 and I was out of my emergency stash I was not a happy camper! The lack of customer support was the most irritating thing for me with AirTran. They couldn't even tell us where the bag was, despite the fact that it has a bar code to scan for its location. Thank goodness our resort connected us several times to the local AirTran agent and the US customer service numbers, which btw are only open Monday-Friday 7-5pm for luggage services. Ahhh yes, because luggage only goes missing on business days. ;) On the morning of day 2 we had to buy sunscreen $35 bottle & the morning of day 3 we needed conditioner($20) , razors ($5each) & shaving cream $14.

You would THINK with a direct flight there would be a very slim chance that your luggages goes missing….. Not the case with us and AirTran. I have 19 passport stamps in the last 10 years + lots of domestic flights under my belt and I've never had such a miserable experience with customer service. In all my travels we've only had our bag go missing twice. Both times it was on the return and once it was sent on an earlier flight and beat us to the baggage claim and it was missing for a brief time in the airport. The other time it was delivered in 24hrs to my front door.

We checked in almost 3 hrs early for our direct flight and our bag went to Cancun vs PUJ and no one could find it for us. No one even bothered to contact us when it did arrive at the hotel. We just happened to make the trip into guest services after dinner (7PM) to make the phone call and while I was having them connect me I saw the bag sitting in the corner. AirTran never even left us a message saying it was located and delivered! I'm sure the $50/day they promised will be a pipe dream as well.

Again, I hope this doesn't panic you before what I'm sure will be a great vacation and I will agree with the others that this can happen with any airline, and it doesn't happen a lot…. it's just VERY fresh in my mind and because of the hassle that seemed a bit excessive with AirTran I'm very leery and would not take to much to chance with them. Pack as much as you can in your carry on. If you're traveling with the opposite sex and he is anything like my hubby you can probably sweet talk him into letting you use his quart size zip lock bag for 3oz bottles. My hubby has very little use for anything other than deodorant and basic shampoo on vacation of which he's fine using mine or the hotels.

Good luck to you and I wish you well, fingers crossed your trip is uneventful with AirTran :)

Shrewsbury...
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Checking a bag?

I would nto suggest planning on washing stuff in the sink. It likely will not dry due to the humidity. EVery vacation i end up bringing double the ammount of stuff that I need. I dont think ive ever worn socks at PC, why do i always pack a weeks worth?