We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Think we're all set but one last question

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ball Ground, GA
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Think we're all set but one last question

Got fabulous trip insurance and of course our own policies but have a last minute question.........what does Hospiten or any other hospital charge as up front fees to walk through the door for emergencies?

After our "side trip" to Hospiten in Playa last November due to food allergy ($1500.00 deposit) we want to be prepared. I know all fees must be paid in DR and then submit receipts back home.

Have tried email and calling but press 9 for English and no one answers.

One week to go and can't wait to get on my pool floatie at PCP!!!!

Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

I believe you have to pay then collect on your travel insurance. If you have Blue Cross Blue Shield then you are covered.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
866 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

I have Blue Cross, Blue Shield and when I called them before I left, they said out of country was not covered under my plan - I think it depends on the plan or the rep gave me wrong info. I always get travelers insurance though.

Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

Hondo2, You have to have the Blue Plan and it will cover you.

Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

If you have the blue plan go here bcbs.com/already-a-member/traveling-outside-…

Michigan
Level Contributor
170 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

I work for Blue Cross Blue Shield and if you have a traditional or PPO plan you will be covered. You will have to pay up front and then submit receipts to the plan when you return home. If by chance you do end up having services, make sure they give you detailed billing and not just a receipt that says. "Hospital Services = $1500". That way your claims won't get held up for payment.

Michigan
Level Contributor
170 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

Just noticed the link posted above by 1sailman. I was going to refer you to that as well. All BCBS plans in all states abide by that standard.

Michigan
Level Contributor
170 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

Hondo2, I work for BCBSM (for 12 years). I believe someone gave you incomplete information. You're not covered out of the country for routine services, but you would be covered for urgent or emergent situations. I notice you're in Grand Rapids; if you need more info, please feel free to message me. I'll be glad to help.

Ball Ground, GA
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

Thank you all for your responses however I would still like to know if anyone has any idea how much they charge up front on your credit card before treatment.

As I refered to in November I had to put up 1500 USD and the bill was only 189.00USD which we submitted when we got home..

Any help would be appreciated and hope we won't have to put it to a test if my husband decides to eat "spring rolls with sesame" again!

Nahville, TN
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

Centro Medico is a preferred provider for BCBS and this is off blue card world wide web site If you are planning or already receiving treatment, please call the BlueCard Worldwide® Service Center to determine if direct billing can be arranged between the provider and your Plan.

Ball Ground, GA
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Think we're all set but one last question

Again thank you for all the responses .............. I do not have BCBS and am hoping someone could tell me the "deposit" required at emergency rooms.