We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

Hi guys

Please any advice about the road conditions (wich I think is brand new and good) and travel safety for foreigners.

Can we stop at stores? local markets? gas station? is it completely safe for the full family and the little kids?

Is it worthy to rent a car? or better to book a private van transfer?

Thanks

Mike

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,069 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

book a private van.......iBK is a recommended...

then you can stop along the way. for beers etc.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 19:16
nyc
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

If you speak spanish, its a plus. Along the highway, stopping at a gas station or parada, getting supplies shouldnt be an issue, just keep valuables out of sight like you would at home.

Night driving is risky. There are a number of motorbikes that share the road or people and animals might share the road in some spots.

If you rent a car , be aware that you must get the extra insurance "casa de conductor". If theres an accident with serious bodily injury, the driver will be detained until insurance issues are settled.

Also, rent from one of the major rental companies. You can find a minivan or suv, but will pay more.

The road is smooth and new, just watch your speed and be aware of other drivers. Careful when you pass over slow moving cars. 911 or emergency services would be slow response.

I would imagine driving is similiar in bogota or other latin american countries.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

from the santo domingo airport las americas to punta cana, the only Fas Station you will pass on a transfer is the texaco in Boca Chica, no shop there. the rest of the ride is solely highway with nothing aside. a gas station with shops is underconstruction, but not finished, yet(at leats not on my last ride aroudn 3 weeks ago), no supermarkets til you reach the punta cana area, so snacks for the ride etc should be purchased before the transfer starts.

once in the PC area, here your driver can stop at one of the bigger supermarkets, depending which hotel is yours one or the other is nearest to the route or you may even pass by one directly. anyways advise the transfer company about that stop with the booking, so they are aware of the may be extra time to plan on the transfer. the above mentioned "Casa de Conductor" inclusion on a insurance package is one basic thing you should always take included, the important point on a insurance is to have the "limite Fianza"/Bail Limit included to be set on RD$1.000.000.- Pesos, as it is the max a Judge would take for an accident, and it is usual that the judges set the max bail for foreigners, due the high flee risk of a foreigner who otherwise would just hopp on the next plane and disappear.

as a driver from Colombia you will not have any problem to blend in to traffic habbits here in the country, the road from the santo domingo airport to the punta cana hotel area is anyways a very easy going new highway, the usual chaos of the traffic we have in our mayor cities is not present there.

for a family with children, myself i would hire a Transfer Company for the ride and agree with them right away with the booking to include a stop at a supermarket etc. as you asked for such stop, i guess you may stay in a Condominium in punta cana, not at a AI hotel?

happy travels

Mike

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

thanks a lot for the post

in previous trips people of the hotel always say dont go out of hotel cause its danger and stuff like that (same as in latin america where is real)

as we travel now with the entire family just wondering how safe is the road trip from Santo Domingo cause it takes 2 hours or more.

i think a private taxi is the best deal cause we will travel at night time

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

for such night time ride with the family i woyld def recommend to take a private transfer or a Taxi.

in a rental car you never know what may break down at the car, flat tyre or such things, so you would be stuck with the whole family at a unknown place alone and in the unlighted dark. and for guests who do not know the route/areas, the signing of the roads is not the best to reach a specific hotel straight on in the dark after a long and maybe stressy flight with children etc.

i would recommend a private transfer or take a taxi.

Mike

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

thanks for the advice, if i took that fly option definetly i will book a private transfer

last questions about it:

Is it safe to take a taxi or transfer from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana?

Is it common that people arrive Las Americas Airport and then go to Punta Cana Area?

thanks for the help

mike

nyc
Level Contributor
2,432 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

I would say its a common thing. Its also a good fare for the taxistas.

Have you considered visiting the colonial zone on this trip? Its a half hour from the airport. you can take a mini tour of the area, buy some groceries, and get a taxi to your destination. Its a good option, if arriving late into the airport.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

it is not unusual that guests and local residents in punta cana take advantage of the better airfares of the Santo Domingo Airport.

Kapitan, if arriving late to the airport AND adding a visit to colonial zone etc, then i guess you wanted to recommend to stay for a night in santo domingo, visit the colonial zone etc and next afternoon do the ride to punta cana. such can be combined easily, yes, but if a visitor comes only for the usual short week of 4-5 nights, then such overnighter wold cut deep off the already booked vacation time.

it is just a 2 1/2 hrs ride from the St Dgo Airport Las Americas to the Hotelarea in Punta Cana, so even on a late arrival no problem when using a Transfer Service or Taxi.

Mike

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

thank you

10. Re: Drive from Santo Domingo Airport to Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 05:16