We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare

I will be travelling to Punta Cana in July for the first time. I certainly understand the good days to purchase airfare and how it varies by departure city and time of year, as well as economic conditions.

I am curious as to what people usually pay for the airfare.

I will be travelling from Atlanta. Prices dropped slightly today to $515 nonstop on Delta. This price does not seem to bad and I may push the button.

Input?

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare

Don't know as I have often checked both ways, but always found the better deal with Apple packages. Air, hotel, transfers, etc. This also depends on what times you prefer the flights; early AM or afternoon? Non-stop? Availability often changes.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare

Try http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare

Our fares were around $463 Rt from Portland, Maine during Spring break/Easter time. Have been told that is one of the more expensive times of the year to fly.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare

Thanks ladyme1.

This gives me something to compare my rate too. Not sure why Atlanta is more expensive than you flight from Portland since its so much closer and I'm travelling midweek from a major hub. May hold off purchasing my tickets.

Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare

That seems like a decent deal for a non stop round trip flight. Not sure what Delta's policy is on refunding the difference if fares drop after purchase but I would book and keep checking the price up until your departure.

JetBlue had an excellent deal a few months back on round trip airfare from Boston to Punta Cana....I believe it was under $450. I didn't purchase at that time since my husband was undecisive about our trip. He changed his mind a week or two later and the price went up by about $100. Fearing they would keep going up, I purchased our tickets at that price.

Three weeks ago, I noticed the fares dropped by about $50, I called JetBlue and they refunded the difference. A week later, the fare dropped another $65. Embarrased, I called again and they went ahead and refunded that amount. By the way, one of our flights was purchased with JetBlue points and they rebanked the point difference to our account.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
355 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare

Did you check AirTran? They have direct flights from ATL to PUJ

nyc
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare

Anything around $500 direct, non stop is a fair deal. The lowest I can find , jfk to puj direct , is usually $540. You can find some deals, but if you have specific target dates, just jump on it.

It beats paying upwards of $600 for the flight.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare

djdale. At the time I thought $463 was high. But, have been looking maybe for a short vacation back there this fall and airfares are much higher now then when we booked. Direct flight for $500~~I'd grab it.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare

Thanks everyone for the info.

daw4888... yes, I have checked all airlines.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare

The DR is the worst because of the high taxes on the flight. Just a few years ago, the aim was to look for fares closer to $400.

Ive actually have found airfare that wasless than the taxes to other parts of the island.

Happy travels.