We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to tip?

Darlington
Level Contributor
22 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
How much to tip?

Hi

I'm looking for some advice on tipping please.

I'm going to be staying at the Memories Splash in 3 week times and being from England the culture of tipping is not as prevalent as in Canada and America so I'm wondering if any experienced travelers could advise me of 'standard' amounts and the frequency you would leave a tip?

I understand a wodge (is that even a word?1) of US $1 notes is a good starting point!

Thanks in advance!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much to tip?

Just do a search. many,many posts on this.

London
Level Contributor
326 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much to tip?

LLA07 - I'm from the UK too and a frequent visitor to the DR (this year will be my 10th visit to the country). I think to be honest that there really isn't a rule of thumb for tipping. You will I can assure you receive good service whether you tip or not so it's really not a GIVEN that you have to.

From the very start we wanted to, I've received some of the best service anywhere I've travelled in the world in the DR and my husband and I just have always wanted to say 'thank you' for that.

A couple of dollars in restaurants is pretty standard, similarly tipping the bar tender, although it's absolutely not necessary every drink. We usually wait to see that our maid is going to be the same one throughout the trip and tip her $20 with probably the same at the end of the trip if we feel she's gone the extra mile for us. $1 bills are useful for bag carriers at the airport, we usually tip the bell boy between $5-10 as they are so prompt and helpful. I suppose really my response looking at it isn't much use to you but honestly its more about what you want to tip over the course of your trip and then working out the value of the service you receive from there.

I think it's balancing out a bit (I certainly hope so anyway) but when we first started visiting DR over 10 years ago the average monthly wage for hotel staff - wait staff etc was less than $200. To my mind tipping around $300 per holiday is no biggy, I know because I'm lucky enough to have a good wage in the UK but when you compare it to salaries in DR against the service you get I think it's worth it. Best advice I can give as I said before is to work out what you want to spend on tipping and then hand it out to those you think have given you great service in accordance to you tip budget.

Hope it helps

PGD

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much to tip?

Tipping is a personal issue. It is important to remember though that the Dominican Republic is an independent country and so American and Canadian tipping customs are no more appropriate than British ones.

The only valid guidance can be given by a Dominican. As some one who has lived in the country and is married to a Dominican (20 years) I would say Dominican tipping customs are closer tp Birtish ones if any!!

Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much to tip?

Perfectly said, poppy. For what DR vacations cost us, bringing an extra $200-$300. for a week is still much less than what a vacation 'at home' would cost. Try to bring stacks of ones, change may be hard to obtain.

Darlington
Level Contributor
22 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much to tip?

Thanks for all of the information everyone, it's a great starting point!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,402 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much to tip?

Also remember that while your AI resort reservation may say "gratuities included", the porters at the airport, etc do not work for the resort.

Pa
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much to tip?

We just got back from SRB and we tipped often especially very good service. Nelson at beach side grill was awesome and we treated him so. From servers to porters to maid staff, we left few bucks. I know it says tips included but do resorts actually pay workers any kind of percentage on top of say their hourly/weekly regular wage. We tip in US so that's why we did there. I didn't seen many tipping however and we were there a week. The employees at secrets dedinitely did an amazing job.

Avon Park, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much to tip?

To get the best service do you tip after each service that is good or wait til the end of your vacation

I usually dont carry money with me

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,884 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much to tip?

You tip for good service.

10. Re: How much to tip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:16