We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

Beverly Hills...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

I am not sure what to do do, just looked at the forecast for Punta Cana and it says 70% chance of thunderstorms from morning to night for the "entire" trip 6 days from now.. . Not rain showers, thunderstorms! I'm sick over it.. What do you do in a situation like this? How accurate is a forecast ? Can you postpone a week without travel insurance? I'm thinking probably not..

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

you can change a week,, 2 weeks a month and the forecast will look the same

not accurate at all

not a concern IMHO

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

As northernale say internet forecast are entirely inaccurate.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

The on line forecasts are wrong about 95% of the time.

Yesterday here on the north coast they were calling for showers all day...we had a hard time finding a cloud in the sky, just sun and hot temps.

My advice....Pack the sunscreen and stop worrying.

BObK

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

No worries - being a tropical climate, the forecast always looks like that. PC is a large enough area, where it may rain in one spot and not in another. The forecast looked just like that the last time we travelled, and we had 7 days of glorious sunshine - it rained hard one night for a couple of hours, and one day for about 10 minutes, with the sun out right after.

Impossible to predict so fret not - go and have a wonderful time!! :D

New Jersey
Level Contributor
149 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

Don't worry - our forecast was the same - and we had a gorgeous week!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
14,095 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

Reading the deeper and more technical weather sites (for sailors and such), we will likely see an increase in activity this coming week, but nothing long lasting and biased towards the ends of the day and overnight. This is typical weather for the region (all of the Caribbean) and something that has been sadly lacking for the past 5 months resulting in a serious drought on the island. Most will agree...a little shower activity and cloud cover is a welcome sight when being baked by the tropical sun.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

we leave tomorrow for my Son's wedding at Dreams and I refuse to worry!

The weather will be beautiful and I can not wait to enjoy it. :)

Edited: 03 May 2014, 13:38
Beverly Hills...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

Mike, thank you.. Im happy for the needed rain..but sad it's happening when I'm there. Lol I'm taking my 24 yr old son and 21 yr old daughter.. We are looking forward to the hot sun and cold drinks.. And taking on a couple excursions, I'm afraid to set them up to pre maturely.. Not knowing for sure what we will be facing.. Any suggestions on an excursion, you seem to be a legend and local expert. Something exciting.. Zip lining is out.. Fear of heights issues.. :)

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

do mikes tour rain or shine,,

http://www.puntacanamike.com/tours

sells out fast, so book early and can not be booked through resort

and if you do get a day with rain,, i have always found it a good day to meet new people around the bar,, or have a swim and hang out at pool bar,,

if it rains it wont be cold

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 70% chance of storms for the entire vacation in 6 day

the sun is strong and even shining on full powers very most of the days the weathersites show as "chances" of thunderstorms and rain.

more than 1hr per day out there in the direct sunlight, baking over the point of just well-done, would be fatal for the health, but as fact very most days provide 10 times that 1hr health limit, so for most time you do not need to search for sun, but for shade and a cold rehydrating drink instead.

while the average online forecasts promised for "Punta Cana as a Region" good "chances" of showers and often even thunderstorms for very most days of this year since the beginning, it is fact as PCMike wrote above:

we are under hard drought, dried out.

today i've been very early morning on the south, in Boca Chica, on the way back by noon(in the full heat of a caribbean day) bypassing La Romana, you get a nice view over the farmland usually filled with Cattle eating that green green grass available there everywhere. as sad fact today i saw nothing else than a Greycolored dead-dried Savannah, the months lasting and still continuing drought killed our usually so beautiful to look on colors of trees and grass and flowers etc. the land looks now dead.

some rain would be really nice, and there is some hope to get some real showers after the long holiday weekend (we are here on holidays this weekend til Tuesday morning), but we have to wait and see if it comes finally true.

for most times such rainfalls come down during the dark hours/between late afternoon and early morning hours, not bothering a beach vacation at all.

bring your best sunblocker and plenty of it, despite what ever a forecast tells, you will def need it.

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Boca Chica
Boca Chica
1,031 Reviews
Dominican Republic
La Romana
La Romana
Dominican Republic