We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price Increase Excellence

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cary, nc
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
Price Increase Excellence

We are hoping to go either in September or November but are unable to book due to some uncertainty in our family, but I have been watching prices for the past couple of months and today noticed a dramatic increase in September prices (looks like both flights and the resort).

Anyone else notice this or know what the reasons are?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price Increase Excellence

Check the Excellence website. I'm getting $206 per night for September. That's up $10 or so over a week ago. That's from Canada. I don't know what it is from the USA. Probably a bit higher.

If you book it now, you won't have to pay until 4 days before you arrive, and you can cancel for any reason. So if it comes down in price, just cancel and rebook. If you decide not to go, then cancel without penalty.

It's the flights you have to worry about.

Mark

Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price Increase Excellence

I've been watching prices for over 4 months now and the price on Expedia for our trip in January changed once for one week. Went up $21 then back down. Been $1,709 consistently. As per our travel agent we're waiting for charter flights to open up. I've only seen one change in direct hotel price also, then back down.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Price Increase Excellence

They have a free cancellation policy. I would book what you want now, for your preferred date. If the price decreases, or you have to change your date between now and then, you can do that with no penalty.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Price Increase Excellence

We booked our October 13-18th stay about a month ago. At the time our room was going for $1450. I just checked, it is currently over $1700. So I wouldnt delay in booking. You can always change it later if you need to.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price Increase Excellence

when i was looking at prices, Excellence had a promo on their site for 35% off if booked by 4/30. That may have been the reason for the increase. I did notice flight prices had gone up the mid week of april for trips in Sept. We are going Sept 14-23 flying Copa Airlines via Panama

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price Increase Excellence

jamey......wait a bit, and the prices will go down. September is right in the middle of hurricane season. If the season is an active one, the prices will drop. Still way to early to tell for September.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price Increase Excellence

I disagree. You're better off booking now if you book direct. If the price goes down, call them and they'll give you the lower price. If the price goes up, they'll honour the price you booked it at.

Mark

Butler, Missouri
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Price Increase Excellence

Is it better to book direct and hope for a price decrease this summer or to go ahead and use a site like Expedia/CheapCaribbean? Planning a wedding there in September and wanting to have the 10-15 of us on the same flight if possible, and near each other at the resort. Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,940 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price Increase Excellence

Stephen,

That depends on what prices you can get on packages. I book direct with the hotel and flights separately. I typically find it to be roughly the same or cheaper than packages, and I like the flexibility, and the fact that I don't have to pay for the hotel until 4 days before I go. We have great flight options from Toronto. I don't know about from your neck of the woods.

Check the price for the hotel on their website, and add the cost of the flights. Compare this to available packages. I doubt the hotel price will come down much, if any. Also check to see if there are volume discounts for that many people.

Booking direct might increase your chances of getting rooms close together. Then again, as long as you're all on one side or the other (lazy river or cascade pool), you won't be far apart.

One time, I booked direct, and then a month or so later, I saw a two day sale on Expedia, saving $80 per night. So I cancelled and booked with Expedia.

Mark

Forest City...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price Increase Excellence

I just booked for September and prices have been down. We were looking at excellence and my travel agent said its the lowest prices she has seen for the resort. My agent price matches and I found it on Travelocity cheaper with a coupon code for $120 off a trip.