We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Bahia Internet

scotland
Level Contributor
762 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Bahia Internet

Does anyone know if you can connect more than 1 device if you but the internet here? I know its $48 per week but wont pay that if its only 1 device. I tried gobecon but they are fully booked out for 2 werks i need it x

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

Lisamum.

Its $49 and 1 device at a time....good anywhere on the resort (beach, pool. etc) or free wifi in lobby.

You have a few other options

1 - Punta Cana Now offers the same device as Gobecon but you need to book a transfer with them... Take note another recent thread mentioned theres is not unlimited just 3gigs. So do inquire with them.

2 - Do you have an unlocked smartphone? If so you can look at the cell providers sim cards/ prepaid data plan packages.... Claro or Orange (Gobecon uses Orange)...

Buy a sim with internet package, download a wifi hotspot app, broadcast the signal and connect multiple devices just like Gobecon or Punta Cana now does.

3 - If you don't have an unlocked phone you can buy your own mobile router similar to what Gobecon/PCN use off Ebay or other sites... Here is an example of one.

http://tinyurl.com/pwdle8h

Buy a prepaid sim with internet in whatever country your in, pop it in and off you go...

Between buying your own mobile router or unlocking your smartphone it would likely be much cheaper to get your phone unlocked but that really depends on the model of the phone.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 15:26
scotland
Level Contributor
762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

Thanks for the reply. My daughter and i both have iphones and she has an ipad. No really worth getting them unlocked i would'nt say. I thought maybe a couple of devices could connect to it for that price x

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

You don't need them all "unlocked".... and actually you don't even need to unlock your current phones if you have an older phone smartphone lying around.

Anyways 1 phone would need to be unlocked so it would accept a Dominican sim card. I just chatted with Claro.. A prepaid sim card is 100 pesos. ($2.31 USD) Then you pay for some cell phone minutes and a data plan which Claro would add to your prepaid sim account.

You put the sim in the unlocked phone... open a wifi hotspot app and it broadcasts the signal so all your other devices can connect to the wifi also.... exactly what Gobecon/Punta Cana Now does...except they use a the mobile routers which has a sim card in it. In this case your smartphone is acting like the router.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 17:11
scotland
Level Contributor
762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

Ahhh i see. Thanks for your help. Where do i find claro about and whats the best hotspot app? Can you tell im new to this? Lol x

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

plus there is a cell shop in the airport so you could get everything taken care of rather easy and quickly.... but you need something to put the sim card in that will broadcast the wifi to other devices...which is either a mobile router or an unlocked smartphone

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

You said you had an iphone..so its actually really easy and really dont even need an app...I presume you have internet on your local plan so try this and test it out.

1 - Go to settings

2 - Click on "Cellular"

3 - You will see "Personal Hotspot" that is off. Turn it on.

4 - You will see the wifi password..

5 - Now take your tablet or laptop, search wifi signals. You will now see your phone wifi hotspot... Enter password and your now connected. Sharing your phones wifi with whatever other device.

Whatever data amount you have per month is shared with that other device when its connected. So be sure to keep an eye on amount of data being used so you don't go over your monthly limit. Just mentioning this if someone else was reading and decided to connect a bunch of devices at home and run off one internet plan. In your case your not doing this.

Try it out - then turn off the hotspot after you see how relatively simple it is to do.

-----------------

In Dominican in the case your Iphone was unlocked... You take out your sim card - put in the dominican prepaid sim card which you pay for a internet package. Lets say 1gig which is likely only around $10.

You broadcast the signal with steps above and connect whatever devices to it.

Since its "prepaid" once the 1gig runs out you have no more internet. Simply just add more internet to the sim card either by stopping at a Claro store or doing it online and you have internet again.

They sell all kinds of different amounts of internet... I don't know the prices but there cheap so if you inquire just find out the big amounts you can buy which will cover you for your whole stay in Punta Cana... so you have no hassles adding more money to refill the internet.

scotland
Level Contributor
762 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

Thats great thanks for that, looks pretty easy x

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

liasmum,

As BigJim has mentioned - the personal hot spot usage on your iPhone works great and I use it all the time for my iPad when travelling.

Even used the iPhone for a wifi signal in Costa Rica to run the laptop.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

I've been researching and it seems like the best option would be to get the Orange or Claro pre-paid data sim cards for my unlocked phone. I've done this in other countries in the world, so I'm very happy to see that it can also be done in DR.

We don't arrive until 8:15pm on Saturday May 17, so I'm wondering if the airport kiosk will still be open at that time? If not, where would be the closest store for us to purchase a sim card from either company? We're staying at the Grand Bahia Esmeralda.

Also, is the $49 wifi offered at the hotel in USD?

Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Bahia Internet

To add to this though, the free wifi lobby is decent and for $8, you can get 1 hour that can be spread out throughout the week. The wifi has pretty good coverage in the resort, including on the beach.