We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

New construction is now starting at the Luxury Bahia Ambar resort (the adults only resort in the Bahia resort complex).

From the information I have received, the following are the present details:

The construction is to consist of an additional 288 guest rooms. Based on their current model of 48 guest rooms per building, this could result in an additional 6 room buildings.

Clearing of the proposed land is currently underway. I have not been provided with a completion date at this time, however, I would well expect it to be completed on or by December 2014.

There will also be an additional pool constructed - perhaps more, however, I will update this thread once I am informed of additional buildings, if any.

It is of no use to speculate as to what buildings, if any, may be constructed until I am provided with more information.

The current planned construction will not interfere with the current guest rooms at the Ambar resort or the Bahia Bavaro resort, as the construction will take place beyond - (west of or just to the left of ) the green belt area and just west of the "Le Gourmet" and "El Meson" a la cartes, when viewing the resort map below.

Here is the link to the resort map so that you can see how far the construction is from the existing rooms:

resortsmaps.com/popup.html…

John

Brooklin (Bubba KIng)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

great info as usual, John, thanks for that, as many people are already speculating, so the "Rumor mill" will run on full powers, hehe.

so the constructionsite will be right by the buildings #72-79 if i understand it correctly, right where the actual Ambar section ends. so the new ones will be further off the beach than the actual Ambar Buildings.

keep 'em coming

Mike

Canada
Level Contributor
853 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

It's an interesting move. On one hand, it makes sense that a popular resort would want to grow. But they need to be careful because one of the biggest appeals of the Ambar (and Esmeralda) is that it's a small hotel within the larger property.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
554 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

Thanks for the info John!

When we were last at the Esmeralda section they were expanding and had construction going on during our stay but it wasn't a hindrance to our holiday in any way. There was huge walls built round to section off so it wasn't unsightly and to be honest we never noticed any noise. We definitely did NOT holiday on a building site which a lot of people seem to worry about. Our holiday at Esmeralda was fantastic and we can't wait to go back to the Ambar section in Late September :)

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

this new contsruction would not be near any existing Ambar rooms, the only rooms right there are the buildings #72-79 of the neighboured hotel, so if they shut down those few buildings they can run their constructions without bothering any guests of the big resort, no complaints to expect then.

Mike

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
249 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

This is really disappointing. One of the features that attracted me was the close proximity to the beach. i would doubt i would return knowing i "may" be that far away. Its really an extension of the Bavaro under the adults only Ambar label. Newer reasonably priced adult only resorts like Breathless will pull people away.

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

Mike,

You are correct - as they shut down one building at the Esmeralda last year during construction - which by the way, was certainly much closer to the Esmeralda construction than the vast distance that will occur at the Ambar site. The closest building to the construction would be #71.

Realistically the new rooms where they would be constructed may represent a 4 minute stroll to the beach versus the current maximum of approx 3 minutes.

John

Brooklin (Bubba KIng)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

If I'm not mistaken, this would make Bahia Principe the largest resort in the Caribbean, in terms of rooms, surpassing Atlantis.

Mark

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

Maybe not. I think Atlantis is still bigger.

Mark

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

it will make it the most stuffed together one, they already been tiny on space, with more rooms the beach will not get spacier. but til now they manage fine to keep their clientel happy, otherwise they would not have their big clientel of returning customers, so they do something right.

MIke

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Construction at The Luxury Bahia Ambar

They still have space behind Esmeralda to tack on another 500 rooms or so before they maybe expand into the vacant lot between them and Majestic. They could probably squeeze another 2000 or so rooms in there.

Mark