We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Can't decide between resorts.

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carbondale, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Help! Can't decide between resorts.

My husband and I are travelling with 2 other friends September 1-6, 2014. We are celebrating my birthday and our anniversary. It will be our first time to the DR, or any AI resort for that matter. We don't mind spending a little more, but we do have a friend that is on a tighter budget, so we would like to find something a little cheaper that is still amazing. We are torn between the standard Suite at the Bavaro Princess (not upgrading to VIP), the Platinum level at the Punta Cana Princess (Same price as the standard at the Bavaro Princess, even with the upgrade), or possibly even staying at a slightly less expensive location. We would love to go all out, but unfortunately we have to stay in a certain budget so everyone can go. Any suggestions or previous stay advice that might give us ideas? Thanks ahead of time for your help!!

nyc
Level Contributor
2,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Can't decide between resorts.

If your looking at the princess resorts, take a look at the caribe princess. It really is a good deal for an inexpensive resort, everything is close by. There is a vip upgrade option for name brand drinks, but its not important if your not a drinker.

Nightly ala carte dinning is a must at the caribe as the dinner buffets is just ok on some nights.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Can't decide between resorts.

The suites at the Bavaro Princess are good, but do not go for the Junior Suites offered by some operators. The non- platinum suites are pretty much the same as Platinum just a different location and there are lots of suites near the beach and pool. Platinum offered other perks such as upgraded alcohol, private lounge and beach area, room service, but if these things are not top priority, then a bungalow suite at the Bavaro Princess will get you a great holiday in a beautiful location.

Don't know the other Princess resorts so cannot comment.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Can't decide between resorts.

For a little more money, would suggest you take a look at the Bahia Ambar which is Adults Only, a terrific resort, and moderately priced, check out what the price would be on Expedia.com, which we have found for years now to have some of the best deals. Best Wishes, Leo & Sue

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,845 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Can't decide between resorts.

Helping you a bit with the princess resorts, regular Punta Cana Princess is a good compromise. I went regular service and spent not even 100$ more than the caribe princess. I have been to all 3 princesses. The PCP offers adults only, so perfect when you want to be calm and quiet, you have access to all services and facilities of the caribe just steps away. The caribe is more of an active resort, so you can go over when the need arises. To me it was the best of both worlds. The location is fantastic also. The restaurant choices are quite varied when you add the caribe princess ones. The PCP is very small, no tram, very intimate feeling, you won't spend half a day looking for your friends. The caribe is bigger but all pools, most activities, and the restaurants are all beach end, giving it a homey feel as well.

The Bavaro princess platinum upgrade is very expensive to end up getting what you would pretty much be getting as a standard guest at a better hotel. It does have advantages but I think that if some of you wanted to upgrade, the ones that didn't would feel the difference between you and them. Whereas, an upgrade to better alcohol, spa services and an a la carte specialty restaurant for some members of your group won't be felt by the members who did not upgrade.

5. Re: Help! Can't decide between resorts.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2015, 06:17