We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deet Spray

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
584 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Deet Spray

Can anyone advise if 50% deet spray will be enough, or do you advise 100% for Punta Cana?

Thanks

Deb

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Deet Spray

My practice nurse advised to use a MINIMUM 50%.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deet Spray

Mine said 100 but reading up seems pretty strong melts nail varnish etc!! Might go for the 50

Thanks

Deb

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,112 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deet Spray

Hi Debs,

50% Deet is all that is needed and is effective.

I take with me Jungle Formula Extra Strength Body Spray for Tropical Use which contains 50% Deet.

http://www.jungleformula.co.uk/faqs/

Angie.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deet Spray

Thanks Angie

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Deet Spray

Deb there is a mozzie repellent that is natural I can't remember off hand the name but will send you a link to where you can buy it when I get on the pc later :)

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
542 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Deet Spray

www.lessmosquito.com/…

Check this one out Debs :)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deet Spray

30% Deet is sufficient if using for the evening and will give 4 to 6 hours of protection. The amount of Deet doesn't make it any stronger but it is how long it protects. 30 % offers just as much protection as %100 but one will be effective longer than the other. I usually see mosquitoes the worst from around early evening and lasting 3 or 4 hours. %100 Deet will protect for 12 to 14 hours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Deet Spray

Consumer Reports (May 2014): "Our experts recommend using no more than 30 percent deet, ever."

•When you use deet, keep levels low. If a product with 15 percent deet keeps bugs away for 8 hours or more, as our tests found, one with 98 percent deet has to be even better, right? Actually, no. Off Deep Woods Sportsmen mini pump spray (98 percent deet) is claimed to provide maximum-strength protection for up to 10 hours. But products with 95 percent or more deet have been linked with serious side effects, including seizures, slurred speech, and coma. It can also cause eye irritation and allergic reactions. Our experts recommend using no more than 30 percent deet, ever. If you’re, say, on an overnight camping trip and need long-term bug protection, reapply a product with 15 percent deet (such as Off FamilyCare Smooth & Dry spray) and use it sparingly. Each application will protect you from mosquito and tick bites for at least 8 hours.

•Think twice about using deet if you’re in a high-risk group. Children, seniors, and people with weakened immune systems should use deet only with extra caution. The American Academy of Pediatrics says not to use it at all on infants younger than 2 months.

•Apply repellents outdoors, and only to clothing or exposed skin. Wash repellents off before you go to bed, and wash clothes before you wear them again.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deet Spray

We use Deep Woods OFF Sportsman (30%) - just got some this week for camping and for upcoming PC trip. We found it to be very effective for those "peak skeeter" times of early evening and when sitting at lobby bar after dinner. A few quick sprays were also helpful in repelling sandfleas at the beach....

Mosquito coils will also help if you plan on sitting out on your patio in the evening - we shared a couple with the lobby bartenders and they worked well. :D

Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deet Spray

As per Laceys previous great idea we purchased a 10 pack of mosquito coils for $4 on ebay. Actually ordered 2 10 packs, one of which we'll see if works better than citronella candles when camping. We've slso found 30% deet spray is sufficient.